Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DragonsLax48

sunglasses for fishing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking to buy Costa del Mar sunglasses. I have a gift cert that allows me to get one free pair so I want to get the best pair for fishing. Can anyone give me input based your opinion? (frame, lense color, etc) Thank you!

if you are able go to a big chain store an try some on. the style you like best and fits your face is the pair you should buy. the 580g polarized lenses are fantastic, i do not have any costas with the 580p lenses but maybe others can chime in. i wear my costas almost everyday even when not fishing. 

i know Dicks sells them but the one i went to only had 4 pairs. I expected a little more. Do you know of any retailers who hold a larger selection?

Fit is THE most important thing and that changes person to person. If it is too tight, discomfort will send them to the junk drawer. If they are too loose light will get around the lens and again... off to the junk drawer. I like the glass lenses as they are way more scratch resistant. Plastic is lighter which is nice but glass will last much longer.

Posted (edited)

The kind of fishing you do also has an impact on the base tint of the lenses. Costa recommends Amber and Copper for inshore\river fishing, Grey base for offshore fishing. Of course you can choose whatever you like. Try on many frames though, the ones you think look good online may not fit you comfortably. I have Fathom's and Cat Cay's. The Cat Cay's are my favorites. They both are black frames with green mirror and amber base glass lenses because I don't fish offshore. 

Edited by crbshooter

Try to go to a bass pro or tackle direct type store and find the Fram that fits your face best. Then I would suggest 580g and pick the color based on the fishing you'll be doing.

As others have suggested you need to try them on.  As for which ones to get I would get the 580g as you have the gift card.  You can buy a second pair of 580p down the road.  I love the 580p for daily drivers and for many fishing applications.  I have a pair of Blackfins with a grey base that I wear everywhere, are 2 years old, and have been dropped in the sand/concrete/dirt etc without a single scratch on the lense.  Perhaps I am lucky or perhaps they are more durable then some would lend you to believe.  The glass lenses would be my first choice though if you intended to fish extensively with them and the lens base and color is dependent on where/when/how you fish.