Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Black Hole Surf Rods

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Do we have any local guys - local meaning from Delaware north to Maine - who can report on the Black Hole rods for NE surf plugging?  Has anyone built upon BH blanks, or spent serious time plugging with them for striped bass and bluefish and red drum?  Kilsong's here now and then, but I'd like to hear more details than are latent in a given big-fish photo. 

Hey guys - long time surf fisherman and rod builder chiming in here. Coming from a long time lamiglas fan - still use them and still a fan - the black hole is impressive. I built the heavy BH this offseason it's a 2 PC, 50/50 split woven fiber blank with the new generation resins. This is not a light weight fast action high modulus blank. This is a moderate action - which I prefer for most surf applications - blank weighing in at 8.5 ounces. Through a variety of plugs and metals with it this spring and caught some large bluefish on it. I used plugs between 2 and 4.25 ounces comfortably - tip is light enough where you could throw an SP minnow with it. Rod develops tremendous power in midsection. Had a buddy of mine who fishes a lamiglas fish with it for awhile and he was equally impressed.

I bought one of these blanks 2 years ago at the rissa show. I finally brought it in to get wrapped this spring, still haven't picked it up been to busy at work. I'm hoping to get it this week. I'm dying to fish it to see what it's like. 

Here is Lyd Le'Ng's comment on 10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Surf rod.

She landed tarpon, shark, red drum and snook with the rod in Florida.

“It’s a very comfortable feeling fighting big fish. The rod tends to wear the fish out with the parabolic action, but has very strong backbone. You will have no trouble turning the fish’s head trying to land a trophy fish. The bite detection on it is very sensitive and you can feel any nibble or bumps. Almost like you’re finesse fishing with a bass rod with double the strength.”

Posted (edited) · Report post

It is not just surf rods. The Black Hole Nano rods are probably the strongest rods ever introduced.  900 - 1000 lb giant was landed using 12 oz Black Hole Cape Cod Special Nano factory jigging rods in PEI using 55 - 60 lb drag. 

Edited by ksong

I bought one of these blanks 2 years ago at the rissa show. I finally brought it in to get wrapped this spring, still haven't picked it up been to busy at work. I'm hoping to get it this week. I'm dying to fish it to see what it's like. 

bringing this back up. I finally picked up my rod today from cms. I compared to some lamiglass that were on the rack down there and I can say that my rod is way lighter. I'm really happy with my decision on getting it. Problem is I have no idea when I'm going to be able to fish it. 

Thats funny. So why did you buy it.

Mike

Don't get me wrong on the lami statement, I love my 1322. I bought it at the rissa show 2 years after handling it and talking with the sales person and another friend who was with me that knew a ton about these rods. But my work schedule last year and this year has prevented me from fishing. Being self -employed and going thru what I went thru the last 6 years it's been banner to have work.