Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffapeikin

What's the most amount of times you've fished for stripers without a catch? )lol) I h

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

The first two years I fished the jetties I never caught a striper. All I did was lose jigs in the rocks for two spring seasons. Once I figured out how to fish without getting snagged every cast then I started to have great success. In fact when the stripers run past these jetties it's not necessary to be right on the bottom. It is necessary to put in the time mostly at night and wait for the big fish to swim by on the feed. You can't catch fish if you are always snagged on the bottom and or don't spend enough time learning to fish one good productive area. For me it's all about the challenge and the longer I go without a strike the more adrenaline I get when it finally happens.

I need to work on the basics and such. It was semi miserable fishing at 2:00 this morning in a spot of my dreams with a good current and wind and a line roller on backwards so that every cast was line knot.

Newbow. Thank you for the tips. I have like three spots and I change up all the time. I think what you posted has a lot of truth and positivity to it. Thanks a lot!

I would look for what when how other people having success on the same area.

If nobody is around all the time that should tell you something.

I only started last spring and other than early spring had not many skunked nights.

But then also made like 70 trips so far to the same spot to figure out tide and wind that works best.

Even then some night I walk back to the car wondering what made them appear when they were not supposed to, or thinking maybe tonight they weren't hungry.

I'm 27-3 this season.I've been skunked 3 times this year and that was mostly in early spring...biggest fish 31 pounds,I went through a rough month last spring where I got skunked like 14 times in a row....worst streak I ever had but it was also a bad spring

Edited by IslandSurf

All small bass so far, and I'm not complaining. All blues my biggest was 15. All on top water, just want to keep catching. So far a good spring and hope it continues.

About 10 years, but I wasn't fishing SW either.

Otherwise, maybe this will do. 'bout this sweet time of the year, the dearly-departed Molly Benjamin would headline a weekly fishing report in the CC Times that *you gotta' be an idiot not to catch fish now*. Then my next trip would be a skunkin'. Thanks for nuttin', Molly. But I still miss you alot.

Edited by patchyfog

I like fishing and I can be content- to a point w/o catching. Of course I prefer catching also. I went (my first) two seasons catching only a single surf striper.  I put in a few hundred hours in that endeavor. The only thing that saved me was that I could go to the bay and redeem myself. I was pretty good at catching in the back. 

To answer the question. 5x.  If I go 5 x w/o catching a fish it starts to take the joy out of fishing for me. It has happened many times. It's 70 miles (one way) to the closest salt for me.My jeep is long gone & I'm older now.

I still thank my creator for every moment that I am able to even give it a try. But after a few zero trips sometimes I'd rater just metal detect, collect/beach comb or swim or walk the shore line.

I'll have the opportunity again in just a few days. I'm really looking forward to fishing again and everything else I mentioned.

I have still had more success than failure.

When I was new at surf casting I often only caught a few fish a year out of a dozen or more trips. At this point I've done it so much that I catch fish most of the time that I go. I learned one area so well that I know when and where to fish at what stage of the tide. Having said that, I still like to go exploring and I'll often go weeks without a fish just trying out new water. You can't give up, tomorrow might be the day that the big fish are blitzing right at your feet, it's happening somewhere every day.

I dont skunk much spring and fall. I thinks all about having productive spots. I pick my times and tides. But I will admit my fish per hour is horrendous. Once I'm out there I fish myself dizzy. Often 10-12 hour trips. I'll credit the endurance to sunflower seeds, beef jerky and 800mg ibuprofen.