Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffapeikin

What's the most amount of times you've fished for stripers without a catch? )lol) I h

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Last fall, I had about 5 or 6 skunk trips out of fishing every night from October to December. This spring, 3 out of 7 trips went without a fish. I did go most of the summer without a striper though.

Alex

When I first started, I went abut 10 times. My buddy was catching them and I got the big 0 This year I have gone about 10 times so far and my buddy has three. I have the big 0 again. He said I am losing my touch. I have been getting a lot of fish, but no Stripers or Blues yet. thanks to the Sea Bass. biggest 22''

Had a 12 hour stretch before a few dinks the other night, realistically I'm still considering it an 0'fer the last few. The dinks were hardly worth catching.

Had a 9 or 10 year stretch of staying down in LBI for 4th of July weekend without a single bass. Fished with EdJ, Choopy, CollHandFluke........... nothing, no one.

10th or 11th year crushed em in a huge blitz with Gary2.

Last year, I went a number of trips not getting skunked...then hit a major wall (from some point after the first week of July through the end of Aug)....in fact the only saltwater fish I caught in that span was outside my own New England waters (trip to florida that included snook, barracuda, albies and jacks)...also, it took bonito and false albacore ranging from the end of Aug through the first half of Sept to end the 'no gamefish' drought (finally was back into a few stripers towards the end of Sept....and bluefish....ugh...I took advantage of a couple of big bluefish days in the spring off South Cape Beach last May and early June...I didn't catch another bluefish that season, other than the little 6" to one foot snappers that show up in the fall)

The first two years I fished the jetties I never caught a striper. All I did was lose jigs in the rocks for two spring seasons. Once I figured out how to fish without getting snagged every cast then I started to have great success. In fact when the stripers run past these jetties it's not necessary to be right on the bottom. It is necessary to put in the time mostly at night and wait for the big fish to swim by on the feed. You can't catch fish if you are always snagged on the bottom and or don't spend enough time learning to fish one good productive area. For me it's all about the challenge and the longer I go without a strike the more adrenaline I get when it finally happens.

Sometimes they just aren't there, I'm not one to burn gas going looking for them, if I can't catch in my local spots it wasn't meant to be.