Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBreese1

looking for advice and reports from the Hudson River-NY Harbor area

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, My boss and 3 of his cronies [all experianced fresh water fisherman and boaters] have decided this monday to give striper fishing a shot. They have a 24' Grady White at there disposal, but the boat is in the Hudson at Fort Lee. My boss, Knowing that I am a true striper addict has asked me to give him a crash course in boat fishing for Bass. I am loaning them most of my boat tackle,-trolling gear,rods for chunking and bait rods for drift fishing. I also wrote down the basics on each tecnich, and explained the importance of structure and current. I explained to him that all the boat fishing I do for stripers is in the Raritan Bay and NY Blight. That would be an hour plus trip for them and they would have to traverse the Varrazano Narrows. With the forcast for Mon. they would be better staying in the river or harbor. They bought a nautical chart of the NY Harbor area. I have been here long enough to know better than to ask for specific spots, but if anyone would be kind enough to share some generality's I.E. [We caught a few drifting worms around the Statue of Liberty] I would be very gratfull. If anyone wishes to p.m. me or respond here that would be great. If any of the moderators think this would do better in the boating or NY forum pklease feel free to move it.

Thanks all

Jim

At the south end of Manhattan, closer to Governor's, is a steep drop off known as Diamond Reef that sometimes holds fish. Also, around the island towards the UN is U Thant island. Lots of guys fish there. You can continue up the river, or down the river from Fort Lee, to the vicinity of the Throgs Neck Bridge and look for fish there.

I usually skip all of the above and head for the Hook or Breezy Point.

Why doesn't the "boss" invite you along. I would think he would be willing to pay you overtime to give pointers firsthand. Not to mention the gear you donated to the cause.

BobT.

Thanks Guys, Any more input would still be appreciated. I have fished with the boss before, but this trip is arranged by a friend of a friend of his. I am still waiting for him to tell me he needs me to guide him on a trip to Cabo smile.gif

Jim