scoobydoo

GLISS.......wow....Fingers crossed it's not another Nanofil

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

On line that has been fished for a few hundred casts.   On 19kg gliss

3 passes through the hook eye to a 9 turn uni held to 37 lbs

Double palomar    26lbs

triple palomar is a pita not gonna bother.  Probably holds better than the triple uni though...but i don't like the palomar and rarely ever use it.  

The triple uni with any less than 8 turns doesn't hold past 20lbs.  

I may end up practicing the knot they recommend.  To see what i can hold.

Did you ever get a shipping notice from that UK store? I checked Ebay and nothing from the seller but it looks like 300 meters of 6kg in yellow is back in stock.

I just double checked....I received confirmation that my order was processed but never received any actual shipping confirmation or tracking info.

I did receive the package though so no harm no fooul

Nice. Thanks a bunch for taking your time and sharing your findings the new line so far. I don't suppose you will fish it flipping docks, plunking the weeds/lilies, or any type of bottom bouncing? I really want to get a good idea of its abrasion resistance. 

I had previously heard the hype about Nanofil and spooled some 12lb test for some trout fishing. The line had a ton of fraying and I had three breaks before I decided it wasn't for me. Nanofil felt really smooth and casted really well, but I didn't feel like it casted any better than other quality braids with the same diameter. It did seem to cast better in the wind though. I've been looking a small diameter line with better Strength/Diameter ratio, can cast well in the wind and I can use for many, many situations. And be reliable so I don't have to check for nicks every other cast. I am crossing my fingers that Gliss can at least meet most of these requirements. 

Posted (edited)

Got the line this morning via air mail. First impression was that it really feels like mono. It feels really round and slick like a thin copolymer mono line. It's soft like samurai braid but it's slick like Nanofil. Nanofil is slick but at the same time slightly wiry and definitely not round. I pegged the diameter as somewhere between 8lb and 10lbs Stren Super Braid. Smooth soft line feels thinner than they really are when compared to rougher braid. It's probably a hair thicker than 10lb Spiderwire Ultracast Invisibraid but thinner than 10lbs Nanofil.

20150626_105621_zpspqekywsv.jpg

20150626_114121_zpsg7nt3pmg.jpg

20150626_114141_zpsvwmv9a5r.jpg

The FG/Sebile ties really well as with all soft braid. I did 20 turns on each side just to make sure:

Pretighten:

20150626_114821_zpsxi56xpyn.jpg

Post tighten:

20150626_115202_zpsi3bszvme.jpg

That was 11KG Gliss to 40lbs mono.

First dumbell test was 17.5lbs. It fails at the usual FG knot fail spot which is right at the knot at the first half hitches that holds the knot. No slippage.

I repeated the FG knot after trimming off the damaged part and started at 12.5lbs and added 2.5 lbs gradually. It pass the 15lbs test and lifted 17.5 lbs maybe half an inch off the ground for a split second before it snapped. I'm going to give it an FG KBS of 17lbs. Assuming an 80% knot strength (FG is 80-90% knot most of the time), the Gliss 11KG true ABS is probably around 21lbs which is pretty close to its 11kg rating. As we all know, non US made braid are labeled pretty close to their true ABS.

So it's KBS is about the same as Stren 8lbs and Nanofil 10lbs. So it's strength to diameter ratio is about average as far as I can test and feel. Now I just have to field test it's castibility and long term durability when compare to Nanofil.

Edited by aquaholik

surprised you didn't notice any distance gains with nanofil.  for me it was night and day.

as far as it casted it fell short in reliability and durability......wayyyy short.

When i was snagging and plugging with gliss...I used a custom built 7' eglass spinning rod.   with 19kg Gliss i was lobbing effortless bombs of casts.    if this line holds up.  You could almost without a doubt cast futher with an uglystic surf rod...than a 1400$ long cast setup using "insert 20-50lb braid of preference here"      The fact that the little stick had a monster 10k stella on it was even more impressive.  zero line slap....silent going through the guides both ways. 

I'll be using it tonigh in fw a bit more on a 2015 metanium dc and cumulous throwing spinnerbaits and frogs in heavy grass...and  tullies...not a true test of durability by any means....but tullies beat up braid as much as submerged timber...  But the pickeral do bite at night often here and the bass here have teeth. 

Aqua, great feeback so far.  Would you agree that it feels "smoother" with less surface irregulatrities than nanofil?   Comparing the two.  Nanofil had that slight " bumpy" feeling like original fireline.  the gliss in 6kg was polished granite smooth....the 19kg close but had some slight irregularities to it.

Did you try any direct terminal knots?

Did your packaging have text that didn't match the image regarding the terminal vs line to ine join  knot suggestions.    I'm curious if what's available for sale is like a pre release  run....pretty obvios printing error.....

Next to Nanofil 10lbs, it makes the Nanofil feels wiry. It's very smooth and round. Think of it as a 2-4 lbs copolymer mono line that is SUPER SLICK. It really feels like it when you run it through your finger. It's the most mono feeling like braid so far except it's far slicker. My package looks pretty legitimate with no printing error or any mismatch. Didn't attempt any of the suggested direct terminal knot or the suggested Gliss to mono knot which looks like a modified albright knot.

Fished from 10pm to 5am.  Gave it a go fishing it on a Baitcaster.  Had the unfortunate experience of bending the pawl on a DC metanium pulling out a snag.  Normally i'd wrap the line around a dowel and pull....but I was too lazy and frustrated from trying a new spinnerbait brand and untangling the line from the bb split ring and blade i just thumbed it and pulled......(Bassdozer < Zorro)

The only strange occurrence was a break off after a short fight with a 4lb fish caught on a frog.....fish threw the hook when it jumped about 8' from being lipped.....but the lie parted as i watched a savage gear frog sink with about 6 of line attatched to it.

I can't honestly blame the line.   Bats were all over last night, and constantly hitting the line.  On numerous occasions in the past Ive had issues with them nicking the line. Last night, even keeping the rod tip low they'd still take shots at my line.   It was a very buggy night and with no wind where i was. THe bats were pretty thick....

THe line for the most part cast trouble free.   It was the first time since 1999 that i cast a baitcaster and had a silent retrieve.  THe rod i was using was a SHimano Cumulus MH rod with ti Sic guides.   I had to make an adjustment to my retrieve speed.  Using different gear ratio reels you can tell speed by the sound through the guides....I found myself reeling way to fast in the beginning ...lol

This line is very sensitive.  However i don't think i would want to use it fishing heavy grass.....while thin it cuts through vegetatiion like mono.   I ended up using my swimbait rod to through spinnerbaits......65lb fireline tracer cut grass better....and again...from my experience there are much better braids for weedwhacking than tracer.. So far the best line for fishing at night has to be suffix performance braid.   It's not overly noisey yet abrasive enough with it's somewhat course weave that it cuts through grass.  Original power pro was the best weed wacker but it was so noisey you couldn't hear  surface activity during the retrieve.. which when it's pitch black out is extraordinarily important.  (that maxcuarto stuff feels identical to it)  

So for spinnerbaits around vegetation.......Gliss is a no go...

I had 3 overruns the entire night.  All after 330am when the wind shifted and i was tired......They appeared to be very mild....but once i lit up the damage.  some quasi extensive picking had to be performed.  No visible damage to be seen.  

THis line is more sensitive than braid using spinnerbaits.   Using the same Stan Sloan Zorro SHort arm aggravator spinnerbaits that have caught me countless fish the thump of the blad was much more pronounced.   And since it was silent i could hear almost a metalic squeek.  

Ended up with 4 fish between 14-18" and 3  fish 20-21"  After 2am the bite slowed.......all fish came with a side order of salad.....no chaffing present at all whatsoever....most fish were caught on topwater 1 on spinnerbait.

Posted (edited)

Pulled it off the TP 4000 and decided the Certate 2500 on a custom St Croix SC IV/V is a better match. Constant casting and jigging should reveal it's durability and how well the color and slickness will hold up.

20150627_155421_zpshcgbmalc.jpg

Edited by aquaholik

Posted (edited)

A little update on Gliss 11 kg. I have not fished much but been "guiding" kids the last 4 trips. Went out today to fish a new area for snappers and it's one of those place where you don't feel safe dropping anything down. Angled down log, submerged pilings, ropes, rusty cable. Basically it was a very old ship yard. Tide was dead, we chummed up the snappers and they ate our crippled livies but refused our white bait on 25lb fluro. Too lazy to step down the fluro leader considering that was the minimum needed with structures 2-3 ft apart.

Changed it up a little bit and put a white bait down on a small jig and drop it straight down besides the fallen log. Got a flounder earlier and set the hook on what I thought was a real decent flounder. Drag was locked down due to heavy structure. Fished realized it was hooked but it was too late. He made a lunge to go underneath the log but that only bent the rod which quickly rebounded the fish out. Fight was literally over in 5 secs with the last 10 secs where the fish made a vain attempt at other submerged piling. Then she was bellied up and posed for the pictures for a good three minutes on the surface: A little 30 inch snook:

Screenshot_2015-07-08-14-24-49_zps6s2c48

Went to release her, grabbed the leader and the jig just fell off. Jig was bent pretty good.

After that, hit the bridge for Pompano but only caught another flounder. I switched to a 10lb Spiderwire Ultracast Invisibraid setup and boy, it feels "sticky" on the cast. That's the trouble with getting used to nanofil and gliss. It just comes off the reel and goes thru the guide so smooth.

Edited by aquaholik

Good to see it's holding up so far.

I used it for quite a few overnight Striped bass chunking trips.   It's has handled about 100 snagged bunker with no signs of any where.  I've kept the same fg to 40lb seguar sts fluoro connection.  Flawless. 

I'll be going on a mahi mahi/ tuna run this weekend.  Hopefully some gaffer dolphin will really give it a good work out.

FYI Gliss has been picked up for US distribution.  Not sure of the time frame but it should be available shortly in the states.  I'm pushing efingers to carry it asap.

Looks like it is available now from ardentoutdoors.com. I'm not sold on this line yet. While it is more durable than nanofil, it is also a softer line. I've gotten used to Nanofil 12 lbs test around the bridge. The wiry nature of nanofil, like fireline crystal, makes it very hard to get a tip wrap with the constant jigging motion used with pompano fishing. Gliss seems ideal for throwing plastic on the flats for flounders and redfish and trouts where the presentation is slower.

I really hope ardent doesn't force shops to carry multiple SKUS and can just carry gliss.  No shop in their right mind would want to pick up Ardent.....JUNK...that'll really limit their distribution if shuch is the case.