Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

Favorite Plugs

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello every body. Well my cabin fever is up to about 104 degrees. So just trying to look for some thing to cool me down.

I was wondering what everyones favorite plug is. Color, wieght, etc. This my just sound like away to figure out what you smart guys are using, but its not, really its not wink.gif

Thanks

------------------

Ismail G.

<*))\\\\\\><

^^^^^^^^^^

That's a tough call, I'd have to say that the Schoolbus Bomber or the Black and Purple Bomber would make the top ten.

It all depends on the conditions and what type of forage is around at the time. While the mullet are around I would say the smoke and black Megabite.

But I wouldn't leave the house without the schoolbus and Black and Purple bombers. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Eh, I have a bunch of favorite plugs until I lose it. Then it's "That DARN plug" There might be a few other expletives but I don't feel the need to say them. wink.gif

Right now, I am in love with the Rebel WindCheater Green over white in the 4 inch size. This lure caught fish when all the other guys thought the bass took off.

But then there are the stand bys that we can't forget.

I have a few favorites but For me the most favored varies year to year. It seems like each year different plugs will out perform the rest on a consistant basis. Last year daytime it was a white wood swimmer. Nighttime was no particular single hot lure but black, black/silver and believe it or not chicken scratch bommer all performed well. In 98 daytime top lure of choice was a popper plug with yellow bommer and smokey joe doing pretty decent as well. 97 I would say brighter color like florescent green was hot from time to time for some reason. 99 nothing on the florescent green. All the lures mentioned I use pretty regularly and can be considdered favorites. Favorite overall from year to year would have to be chicken scratch bommer(yellow and white) I am attached to that plug like alot of guys are with the school bus bommer. THe school bus is actually a ways down my list, probably lower on the fovored list then most people would put it. Its catches fish but I just have never had it be a big producer on a consistant bases throughout a season.

Funny, as I mentioned to someone in chat last night, if you got a bunch of the Noo Yawk guys together and started talkin' Bombers, they would vote as overwhelmingly for the "chicken scratch" yellow one as the NJ guys do for the schoolbus color.

The places on LI where I have done best with the chicken scratch usually have a lot of ambient light on the water from shoreline sources and from the many populated areas on the other side of the bay.

NY - chicken scratch

NJ - schoolbus

DE - purple black although Smokey Joe/orange is gaining fast.

but all bombers, listening Ismail?

However there is no magic plug. Different plugs work in different conditions. The thing you want to do Ismail is to understand what the conditions are like where you fish. Depth, relative turbulence, current speed, did you here Ditch? - ambient light, prevailing bait etc. Then pay attention to the reports listening for what is successful under the type of conditions you are likely to find and catalog it.

For instance everybody here knows I like 7" Rebel Windcheaters. Its a plug that dives deep and tracks true in a heavy current. Conditions I fish. However if I fished in calm, shallow, low current water like you would find maybe in a back bay or inside of Sandy Hook I probably would rarely use the thing. Five reel turns and I'd be dredging sand. I've heard guys who fish those conditions sing long and loud the praises of a Redfin. Redfins are horrible where I fish. They skip out of the current and bounce along on their side.

Get to know which plugs work under what conditions. Somebody here might take the time to say but if you pay attention you'll soon here it anyway. Then be ready to stick those plugs in when they fit your puzzle.

Now bombers will be mentioned a lot because they catch just about any where. Calm/rough, fast/slow, deep water or shallow. That's why they claim almost half the space in my bag.

OK time for a curve...I get loads of fish on the smokey joe (silver to black)mambo minnow.Over the years it has become my go to lure,this year the mega bite proved a big producer in the same shade with a pink/purple hint to the belly.But when the going gets rough ,I reach for the mambo.I like bombers,but they dig in to deep for fishing skinny water.

I keep a buss and a scratch 16a in my plug bag

------------------

Rick

#1 Mag Popper

#2 6" Zara Spook

#3 Baby Striper Rattle Trap

These three have done a lot of damage.

TH

Rattle Traps are aptly named, traps for Rats. biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

PS some nights you have to fade to BLACK

I know better than to only fish black at night,but some nights it will be the ticket.I think it is the brighter,overcast,nights that this works best.I am suprised no one said Black Bomber,it's one of those mantra's you hear on the beach.

I keep one in the truck wink.gif