Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InTheDunes

How much wind is too much wind for sp minnows and bombers?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I tend to fish a south facing beach and we have had wind for days blowing from the wsw and sw. Fifteen to over twenty knots. I am still pretty new at this but am learning that difficult conditions often bring more fish. I caught my first keeper the other day throwing bait into the wind while getting sand blasted.

I can throw a ballistic missile in the three or four ounce class right through that wind. I can toss heavy bucktails and some of the jig head plastics in the one oz and up range. But when I try an sp minnow or bomber in the bit over an ounce weight class they flop and wobble and barely go anywhere. Same with tsunami swim shads in the 7/16ths weight and to a lesser extent the next weight up (forget that one but seven eights of an ounce might be it....they are five inches).

Is this an error in my casting? I am using an eight foot bws1100 uglystick and 20lb PP slick 8 line. Micro swivel to maybe 24 inches of 30lb flourocarbon with a TA clip. Reel is a battle 4000. It isn't the ideal fishing pole I know, but experience in fly fishing tells me user error is usually to blame. Any thoughts?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Oh, one additional thing to mention. In addition to the ugly stick 3/4 to 3 rod mentioned above I also have a ten foot Tsunami Trophy 3-6 rod with twenty pound mono and a penn fierce 6000. I can often toss these lighter plugs like the sp minnow better with that rod...it barely loads but for whatever reason if I get the timing right they fly farther.

Edited by InTheDunes

If you cant get it out to where the fish are( which sometimes can be right at your feet) and if you cant get proper action on lure which is more of a problem with a cross wind then its time to try something else. Heavier bucks or tins or bottles are my go to in rough conditions.

Your rod is meant for three to six ounces. You usually can get away with a little under the manufacturer suggestions but that little weight is probably not loading that rod properly. Oh sorry miss read your post. Bombers don't cast well anyways.

Edited by davebart

That is a very heavy duty rode or SP Minnows and Bomber Long As, if it were a 3/4 or 1-4, it would be a different story. I have used an SP Minnow in a Nor'easter with 4 foot waves and 30mph winds and I have quite good luck with them. They didn't go very far, but with the amount of fish that day, you didn't need distance. I wouldn't throw a bomber long a in the wind, I do like the new Long Shot, it casts very well.

Alex

Thanks all. I might have confused things mentioning the other rod (the tsunami 3-6). My main rod for these is the uglystick eight foot rated 3/4 to 3. I edited my second post to make it more clear although I probably shouldn't have confused things by mentioning it at all.

Edited by InTheDunes

Didn't realize the update, line has a lot to do with casting distance, 20lb mono will not get much distance at all. My primary line for my SSV6500 is #30 power pro.

Alex

Sorry I really did confuse things. The ugly stick 3/4 to 3 has 20 lb braid on it. My whole point in mentioning the tsunami was that even though it was all wrong...too heavy and loaded with mono I somehow cast the light plugs better with it than the main rod which is correct weight and has easier to cast braid. The ugly stick is really noodly at the tip, and I wondered if the rod though technically correct might be an issue either because it is only eight feet or perhaps poor at casting plugs. I assume it isn't the rod but rather my casting or else the lures are just wrong for the conditions. Again, sorry, I really have made this thread way more trouble than needed...and really appreciate the feedback despite that.

Ugly Stiks are not my favorite for surf fishing, my favorite Rod is my St. Croix Triumph for just about every plugging application I will run to. It casts 3oz with no issue and all the way down to 1/2 ounce very well. I have used ugly stiks, and correct, they are way too noodly for my taste, I like them for chunking though. Which Tsunami Rod specifically is it?

Alex

You are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with that rod, it is pretty stiff for light plugs, and with heavier stuff I heard some horror stories of the Rod snapping at the top. when Tsunami says 3-6, it's probably 2-4. Ugly Stiks are very true to rating in my opinion, they even do well way above the rated range. Both are decent rods, they are both for totally different situations. The ugly Stik for a light everyday plugging rod, the tsunami for heavier buck tails, darters and jetty fishing.

Alex

Ya I got myself in this bind like a lot of newbies...being overly excited to get gear without researching enough. It all started with moving out here. My fiancées family had a few old rods lying around. I did much of my first fishing with a twelve foot Shakespeare rod made long ago and a classic penn 9500. I put on new line and plugged with that beast! I quickly learned to fish with bait.

I went to a local shop wanting an everyday plugging rod. Unfortunately, they didn't sell tsunami or penn rods. Ugly stick was the only rod in my price range. They had st croix and lots of other higher end rods. I appreciate great equipment, and realize my budget may push me to buy things that don't turn out to be good long term values. But no complaints! I get to fish and am luckier than most for that reason. I got the ugly stick.

Last fall I decided the ugly couldn't handle my ballistic missiles...long story but I first surf cast 25 yrs ago exclusively with those...it's all we had...so they are a favorite of mine for blues. I went to a different tackle shop, got the tsunami on the advice of the guy there, and though this was closer to the mark I probably should have found a 1-4 or something. But I didn't want too much overlap. I like the rod a lot actually. It just doesn't fit most of what I fish.

I have considered trying a penn prevail in the 3/4 to 3 range as a flat out replacement for the ugly stick. Keep the ugly as a backup or sell it. I have also considered waiting until I have a bigger budget and upgrading to something in the just under 200 buck range in that same weight range.

For now, I am going to take good advice I got here and try using plugs and jigs that match the conditions and rod. In fact, it's about time to head out and see what this evening will provide in the way of fishing entertainment. The wind even seems to have died a bit.

Thanks again!

Edited by InTheDunes

If you end up getting a new surf rod, save up and get a St. Croix Triumph 10ft. It is my personal favorite rod. there won't be much striper action during the summer and you will want to have something decent in the fall. That ugly Stik is perfect for bluefish. It will handle any lure you will use for them and the rod will handle the fish fine. I would first upgrade the reel on the larger rod before I was concerned about the rod though. What you have now will last quite a while if taken care of.

I hope you catch a lot of big fish with those combos!

Alex

Edited by asrodowski