Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WickedStriper

How do I change the back hook on my Gibbs popper

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As you can see, the hooks are finished (after one season).  How do I change the back hook?  Oh and by the way, the is the Gibbs Pro Series Pencil Popper with "Enhanced components".  These are definitely not worth the added cost. 

Gibbs.jpg

Edited by WickedStriper

I tired using some but it would not go through (and I didnt want to apply too much pressure, slip, and end up in the ER).  It feels like I need bolt-cutters.  Is there a simpler way?  Why Gibbs didnt just put a split ring there is beyond me......

Cut the eye of the hook with a pair of wire cutters.

Edited by WickedStriper

Use whatever you need to cut the back hook off without damaging the tail twist. I would replace it with a good split ring, such as a Wolverine which has three turns same as the belly ring, and a 5/0 siwash - with a bucktailed siwash preferrably. I like VMS 4X PS hooks, 3/0 for the trebles. My 2cents. Example of one of mine below.

Puck

post-22984-0-55358300-1431620958_thumb.jpg

Edited by speedwell

If you don;t have bolt cutter use two pairs of pliers to bend & cut the tail hook. BE CAREFUL to not bend the tail twist. As said above, add a good split ring then add a VMC dressed siwash.

Edited by gman1253

Looks like just surface rust on the hooks. The barbs still look good. Soak the hooks in Cola, and sharpen them. 

The barb on the far left is bust.  Thanks for the tips.  I will see if I can remove this trebble. 

There is no way you should reuse those hooks. I swap all of mine whenever they get nasty. Just get some heavy duty wire cutters and cut the hooks off. Then put on fresh split rings and new hooks. Hooks and split rings are cheap. The front split ring looks fine. 

Edited by Alpha