wonkman

Star Seagis inshore rod. Opinions?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Picked up a 7.6" Star Seagis 1/2-1 1/2 10-20. It's a beautiful full graphite rod with Fuji k guides and weighs an incredible 4.2 ounces. But there is very little info on the interwebs about it. Can't remove tags or its mine. Thinking of returning for a 7' Teramar SE which has many good reviews.

Only 3 threads on SOL mention it. Opinions?

Have used that same rod a few times, and two of my good friends own it. Really nice guide layout, blank, and quality fuji reel seat and cork. Star has a great warranty, atleast at the shop I frequent in Florida. Rod casts nicely, has a sensitive tip, and has good reserve power for its rating. For a factory rod, it is one of the nicest rods for the value out there.

I have the 7" 8-17,1/4-3/4.Obviously not the same specs as yours but I love it.

Very high quality components.Light as a feather.Super sensitive tip.Fun to fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yup. I have a Star Stellar surf 10' so I know about star rods in general. But the seagis was released in 2010-11 I believe but I can't still find a much in the way of good info or reviews. I'm pairing the 7.6" 1/2 - 1 1/2 with a Penn Conflict 3000 and it's a tad tip heavy. I may try to find a 7'. It's maybe the lightest rod I've handled given the rating and length. Mine is the split butt version. Also a bit concerned that being all graphite it may lack the backbone for bigger fish. At only $110 I may pick up a teramar too.

Thanks for the replies. Any additional info appreciated.

Edited by wonkman

What is the backbone of the rod supposed to be constructed of to give it more power? The way that rod is designed, new guide concept, it should not be too tip heavy if matched with the size reel it was designed for

I have the 7' Seagis that is rated ¼-¾. It has those same K frame guides and split grip. The finish in nice, not too fancy, just fancy enough. Light in the hand I have it paired up with 2500 Stradic. This thing will throw a mile and is sensitive. I use it for LTJ and I'm liking the rod more and more. Easy to work because it's light and long. Plenty of power to pull 20"-30" stripers up off the edges. Paid $150 retail for it. This is midway through my 2nd season with it and no regrets.

Given my satisfaction with the 7 footer, I'd definitely grab the 7'6" if I could. I'm not sure what reel I would put on it or what I'd use the set up for. Probably the same thing just a deeper, heavier version for LTJ.

I don't know who makes the blanks for the Star rods but the quality components and the assembly, fit and finish seems about as good as it gets for an off the shelf rod. 

I have the 7' Seagis that is rated ¼-¾. It has those same K frame guides and split grip. The finish in nice, not too fancy, just fancy enough. Light in the hand I have it paired up with 2500 Stradic. This thing will throw a mile and is sensitive. I use it for LTJ and I'm liking the rod more and more. Easy to work because it's light and long. Plenty of power to pull 20"-30" stripers up off the edges. Paid $150 retail for it. This is midway through my 2nd season with it and no regrets.

Given my satisfaction with the 7 footer, I'd definitely grab the 7'6" if I could. I'm not sure what reel I would put on it or what I'd use the set up for. Probably the same thing just a deeper, heavier version for LTJ.

I don't know who makes the blanks for the Star rods but the quality components and the assembly, fit and finish seems about as good as it gets for an off the shelf rod.

The fact you pulled 20-30" stripers on the lighter version of the rod gives me confidence that the rod should easily handle fluke schoolies and small blues. I'm casting from shore in back bays and channels so distance is important. I'm trying to stay light but still throw a 1.5 BT when needed.

Teramar se and mojo inshore would be the alternatives. Well known rods. Teramar is a glass/graphite blend, not sure about mojo SC II blank. I also got the seagis for $135 too so it was a decent deal. Thanks for your post :)

I have the 7" 8-17,1/4-3/4.Obviously not the same specs as yours but I love it.

Very high quality components.Light as a feather.Super sensitive tip.Fun to fish.

Olvart how would you say this rod handles 1/2oz to 1oz ? I'm considering the 7'6" 1/4oz to 3/4oz for fluke fishing in the back bays and beach , I would be throwing primarily 1/2oz , 3/4oz to 1oz .....

Another Star rod for anyone considering a 7 foot rod for the Kayak or for use on an inshore boat is the Aerial Jetty/Surf model EX1020S70E. This is the lone wolf in the graphite Aerial series being an all E-glass rod 1 piece rod. It's rated 3/8 to 2oz and is a sleeper value at $60 full retail.  Amazing little stick sadly buried on there webpage under the Aerial lineup.

I actually have two of these rods! Good choice. Talk about a well made production rod. Fast action, light as a feather, and powerful as hell. I use it primarily for stripers, blues, and albies, but I've caught tarpon over 60 pounds on that rod. It's my go to when I'm throwing smaller lures for a finesse approach, but boy can that thing handle big fish.

the 7'6" Seagis 1/2-1 1/2 is definitely on my shortlist of next purchases.  i have a Fierce 2500 that would be perfect for it. after you get some hours on it let us know what you think.

Olvart how would you say this rod handles 1/2oz to 1oz ? I'm considering the 7'6" 1/4oz to 3/4oz for fluke fishing in the back bays and beach , I would be throwing primarily 1/2oz , 3/4oz to 1oz .....

I'm on a fishing road trip and not looking at the site very much.

Not to mention I'm not too handy using my phone.

As for your question, my rod is rated to 3/4. That is my limit with it.

It has a light tip.

If I go 7/8 or 1 oz I use a 10-20 rod.