Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewAddict

Peconic Bay in May

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

The wife and I will be visiting a friend on Long Island who lives on Peconic Bay. Just wondering if the stripers are around then and what kind of bait would be around. Thanks Tim

Yes, there are bass there in May.  Try basic deceivers and clousers near near rocky points and at outflows.  Beautiful area.  Good luck.

Fish over on the North Shore areas near some of the outflows near Robins Island.  Get a map and find the creeks that flow to the bay, shrimp flys will work as well as the suggested fly from Spig.  I fished there for years and it can be great, though the weakfishing is gone bass will be there.  Fish the sand bar off Nassau Point walking the beach to the end.  Move up to Great Hog Neck where you'll find good fishing as well.....Richmond Creek.  That should get you started, it a big area but with a map you cut down to small parts then fish them moving around.  Back in the 70s we would catch weaks, blues and bass evenings on small 5" sinking blue back Rebels, pink Salty Dogs and Mr. Twisters in smoke colors.....glad I had the chance to do it because now it ain't the same.

Thanks for the info. I will be staying right next to the east creek inlet. Last year I was there in august and there were tons of tiny shrimp. Do these inlets get crowded?

NewAddict, yes. 

The water's a bit cold but there were bunker in Pt. Jefferson harbor yesterday, which is fairly deep and therefore a cold location, so .. I'd say it's time to fish anywhere on Long Island. Including Montauk, though I personally won't be bothering to do so.

Strong SW overnight brought some warmer water and some bunker to mid south shore beaches this morning, landed my first pair of the season. Still spotty but game on nonetheless... 

Bobby