robalomann

Catching Bait

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

i was at ft meyer pier this last week, and it reminded me of another way i saw  to catch bait. The rig looked lie a piece of red yarn with wire looped around it. It looked like the bait was drawn to the color and swam into the loops. Any idea what it is called and or how to make one

Many many moons ago a lot of people use those "Ribbon rigs" to catch bait...but I believe they are Illegal to use and you don't see stores selling them anymore..

They fall under the "Gill net" rule... and that's why they are illegal...

Google Pilchard/sardine loop rig and you should find some infor.... but like I said its wise not to use it... we have a lot of New FWC officers down here and you know what

that means> they don't let anything go and You will be given a ticket if caught.... just saying..

A cast net or sabiki rig works just as well and they are both legal to use...

I would look it up, but you really can't find nothing on the FWC site... its kinda of crazy and give you all kinds of links to look at...

but yes I wouldn't take any forum word on it... look it up and make sure...

But like I said before all kinds of other ways to catch bait...the ribbon rig has its limits on how it works... where has a small hook/small sinker with a piece

of shrimp can be cast anywhere and catch bait...

They use what they call pilchard rings all the time at the Naples pier, and there are a couple of guys that sell them there. You can't throw a cast net off the pier, so this is by far the most effective way to catch whitebaits there especially when you can't use more than one rod. Was gunna try them here for the inlet when the baits are in the pilings and not nettable, but guess I have to research legality now. All that you need to make them is a thin strip of red ribbon, light guage wire, and a sinker at the bottom.

Tried to find the gill net ruling so I could read the regulations for myself but had no luck and stopped caring. I guess this would fall under any net or device designed to entangle if I remember it correctly how it is stated. If you google pilchard rings the first thing that comes up are links how to make them for historical purposes and that Florida made them illegal. My guess it is one of those officer discretionary rules but by law you are taking your chances. Not how the gill net ban was intended so you could take to court and probably win, but its not worth the hassle. Most officers especially new ones, are not going to know this law and this device. Surprised you can use them at the Naples pier without hassle, since you can't even use a treble hook on your lure there anymore.

Denny you said it perfectly... NEW Officers!! and there are plenty of them out there...and unless you have the statue (Law) in hand to show it to them... YOU will always

be wrong... try to debate it and you will be ticket....I see laws being broken almost every time I'm fishing around people.... but with the luck I have the MAN would come and

give me a ticket...IMHO if the bait is hugging the pilings and you can't get a net on them... I break out a Sabiki rig and tipped them with cut bait....I rather catch white bait with

a hook then the net... I use a dehooker and they always last a lot longer for me...... Oh you can pick up Sabiki rigs at wally world for cheap...in fact once I use them I just wrap them

up and throw them away...

I'm glad our pier doesn't have any crazy laws yet..... but you run down to Cocoa beach pier... and they don't allow no overhand casting over there... they afraid you are going to

hook up to the surfers.... :beatin:

How to make Pilchard Rings

To All,

When I was growing up in South Florida, I used Pilchard Rings ( aka - "Ribbon Rigs" ) to catch baitfish ( Pilchards / Menhaden ) from the fishing piers . Recently, I discovered that they have been declared to be a "gill net", theoretically "illegal", and not available in stores anymore. I always used to make my own, as a kid.

So, for purely "historical value" . . .  ( Read "liability" here - LOL ! )

"HOW TO MAKE PILCHARD RINGS"

MATERIALS :

6 ft. of #7 Dark-Colored, Solid Leader Wire

1 Barrel Swivel

1 Snap Swivel ( to allow weight changes )

Cardboard Toilet Paper or Paper Towel Tube ( 1" I.D. Sch. 40 PVC works great, too )

3 ft. of Bright Red Ribbon ( 3/8" - 1/2" wide )

Pyramid, Bank, or Dipsey/ Bass Sinker ( 3/4oz - 1 1/2oz +/- )

CONSTRUCTION :

(1) Start with a six-foot length of No. 7 dark leader wire.

(2) Bend it in half and slide on a barrel swivel.

(3) Tie a LOOSE, TWO-TURN, overhand knot in the wire near the bend to "capture" the swivel

(4) Form a loop, using a the toilet paper or paper towel tube ( or 1" I.D. Sch. 40 PVC pipe )as a "mandrel" ( you may need to vary the loop size depending on baitfish sizes in your area) and make a SINGLE-TURN Overhand Knot,

(5) ALTERNATE the direction of the Overhand Knots each time to help the rig hang straighter

(6) Repeat until you have a series of loops, leaving a couple of inches of wire free at the bottom

(7) Slip on the Snap Swivel and connect the loose ends of the wire, using a SHORT Haywire Twist

(8) Hold the rig at each end and pull on it to stretch the loops out into an oval shape

(9) Attach the bright red ribbon at one end by knotting it to the Swivel loop

(10) Pass the ribbon through rings one-third and two-thirds of the way up the rig

(11) Attach the ribbon to the other Swivel, leaving some slack in the ribbon when fully extended

(12) Attach the Sinker to the Snap Swivel and the rig is complete

HOW TO USE:

Tie the rig to a light spinning rod and lower or cast it into a baitfish school and let it sink. You will feel baitfish hitting the rig. Keep the line tight and wait for the rod to bend. When it does, wait a few seconds and reel up. Remove baitfish and repeat, as desired !

post-17931-0-14304200-1486328188.jpg

post-17931-0-73039200-1486328203.jpg

Edited by ez2cdave

Denny you said it perfectly... NEW Officers!! and there are plenty of them out there...and unless you have the statue (Law) in hand to show it to them... YOU will always

be wrong... try to debate it and you will be ticket....I see laws being broken almost every time I'm fishing around people.... but with the luck I have the MAN would come and

give me a ticket...IMHO if the bait is hugging the pilings and you can't get a net on them... I break out a Sabiki rig and tipped them with cut bait....I rather catch white bait with

a hook then the net... I use a dehooker and they always last a lot longer for me...... Oh you can pick up Sabiki rigs at wally world for cheap...in fact once I use them I just wrap them

up and throw them away...

I'm glad our pier doesn't have any crazy laws yet..... but you run down to Cocoa beach pier... and they don't allow no overhand casting over there... they afraid you are going to

hook up to the surfers.... :beatin:

The Cocoa beach pier was the worst pier I have been too for fishing. The overhead cast rule was annoying, but the staff was even more annoying due to how rude they were.

The bartender at the bar at the end of the pier had a group of people he was laughing and joking with the whole time my wife and I were at the end of the pier fishing, not only did he not offer to serve my wife when she sat at the bar to get us some drinks, but then he had the nerve to try to tell me my wife didn't pay him for the tab as he was closing up (we bought 2 beers).

Turned out all the people he was joking with stiffed him and ran out without paying. I laughed in his face showed him the receipt, and told him he had no right to bother my wife. The look on his face was priceless when he realized he was out a couple hundred bucks because of the one group he was so buddy buddy with. Last thing I remember about that bartender is his rear end running full speed down the pier hoping he could find the group. :laugh:

Just curious guys, when people are using sabiki rigs on the piers, I have seen so many of them catch half a dozen pilchard, use one off the rig, let the others die, rip them off the rig, throw them on top of the pier, then go catch more just to repeat the process.

Why is there such wanton waste of baitfish?

Why don't those guys put back what they don't intend to use?

The Cocoa beach pier was the worst pier I have been too for fishing. The overhead cast rule was annoying, but the staff was even more annoying due to how rude they were.

The bartender at the bar at the end of the pier had a group of people he was laughing and joking with the whole time my wife and I were at the end of the pier fishing, not only did he not offer to serve my wife when she sat at the bar to get us some drinks, but then he had the nerve to try to tell me my wife didn't pay him for the tab as he was closing up (we bought 2 beers).

Turned out all the people he was joking with stiffed him and ran out without paying. I laughed in his face showed him the receipt, and told him he had no right to bother my wife. The look on his face was priceless when he realized he was out a couple hundred bucks because of the one group he was so buddy buddy with. Last thing I remember about that bartender is his rear end running full speed down the pier hoping he could find the group. :laugh:

Besides being completely over crowded the Cocoa Beach pier is also still under repairs so the entire platform on the end of the pier is roped off.  We went a couple of weeks ago (late January)  and that was enough for me I will go back to shore fishing and Sebastian Inlet if I just have to have something other than sand under my feet. 

I fished the Cocoa Beach pier last year about this time. although it gets crowded and the bartender can be slow, I have to put into perspective. You have a bartender on a fishing pier!!!!  that is totally awesome. lol. coming from up north, Florida is like heaven. I'm used to rude muther truckers so that didn't bother me.

I loved the story Pylo, bartender running down the pier. heheehe.  I sent my wifey for drinks while I cranked away on whiting that day.  oh and maybe it's the dues paid pitching under hand on party boats for so many years, but the fish really weren't far out.  

After I ran out of bait, spoke with some local blue collar types and they gifted me shrimp for a round or two. they had some keeper black fish in the box. 

tight lines.