Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AvidAngler795

St Croix Legend Elite Saltwater 890-4

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking at purchasing a rod for my Galvan T-8. I have strongly been considering purchasing the 8 weight St. Croix Legend Elite Saltwater, and just wondering if anyone has cast or owns one? Also, looking to hear about St Croix Avid fly rod or regular legend elite fly rods, if anyone has information to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

I have several LE's SW in 6 wt., 9 wt. & 10 wt. Nice fast action without being too stiff. Reasonably priced compared to the competition and still American made. Good back-bone...have landed many stripers on the 9 wt. Use the 6 wt. for chomper blues! Great fun!

The Avid is a more moderate action. This is a great rod for trout; but not my favorite for the salt. Nice for a delicate dry fly presentation...not so good for 4" Deceivers.

My newest rod is a 10 Wt, 9 ft., 4 piece St Croix Legend Elite SW rod. I just mated it to a AirFlo WF10I blue cold saltwater ridge line. I also have an AirFlo WF10ST cold saltwater ridge line to switch out whin i need to go a little deeper.  Halfvent fished tham yeat wbut will be doing so in May in the Hudson River and Cape Cod in May and June.  I have the older AirFlo blue Cold SW lines pre ridge that are excellent lines as well. I'll be comparing the new line performance to the old lines while on the Hudson River.  I had a chance to purchase the  ridge lines for $39.00, each online and dis so.  I have stretched and  laid out both new lines and  reeled them back  on  the reel a half dozen times to ensure  any line twist was negated.  The the Blue WF10I casts very well on  a lawn with no wind.  I haven't cast the sink tip line yet.  

The rod is excellent.   

Striped bass are moving up the Hudson to spawn as we speak.  they are already spawning in the Chesapeake Rivers. Another season begins.  This spring is following the cool pattern of last year.  The spawning in the Chesapeake River is encouraging. last year it wasn't this early.

Cast them both first, then you decide. -All manuf's are making quality rods today... what's best for you is what works for you and your casting style.

I love my legend elites. I have a 4 and 6 weight. You will not be sorry.

I have a different view of rods than most others. I think rods are like women, and all have good points, you just have to find sweet spots. Many people say Rod has to fit your style, and that is of course true, but you can also adjust your style to fit the Rod as well. A few seasons back I was " struck" with a $59 redding ton cross water 2 piece Rod....thing was a dog and slow at first...but then I used it to improve my drift and my cast improved ...

Anyway sweet Legends are very sweet rods....to me like a z axis tip action you can throw narrow loops

St Croix Legend Elite Fly rods are an excellent choice for the pricepoint.  You may also want to take a look at the Beulahs, a new brand we just started carrying in our new and much larger flyfishing department.  The are prettty fast, also have Sage, G Loomis, TFO and some Winstons.

Dont know if ou are near our Showroom, but it would be worth the trip.... we just got in a whole load of new tying supplies too, lots of new UV stuff....