Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gwiz

First Lure To Tie On ....

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I'll probably hit some Cape beaches before I start the canal so it'll either be a white sluggo, a white popper, a white shad-type lure or, if I'm near an active  herring run, a black/silver sebile or a black/silver popper.

White zoom on 1/2oz jig went out first this yr. Ran through box of soft plastics afterward; skunk. Only got hit when i switched to a bone X-rap with dressed rear treble.

If my first day out was on the NS and the water wasn't too silty, I'd pick a smokey blue/grey Google-eye sandeel imm. Dont think they make it anymore.. but it used to outcatch the white there under clear water conditions. If runoff was heavy, white zooms ruled by far. If first time out was in bays nr Falmouth, would throw the sm pink ronz first. Added bonus of a lotto ticket weakfish if you roll dice & work the bottom.

Zooms are a good alternative to sluggos at this time of year, white or albino. Also like the bass assassin sea shads (4-5 in) in black or albino. Small white poppers or spook-like lures, like the jumping minnow, are always worth trying. Bigger swimmers around herring runs.

-bd

I'll be starting out with a small bucktail jig tipped with a curley tail grub fished slow. As soon as the fish start moving and chasing I'll switch over to a bass assassin or small sluggo fished unweighted.