Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
john1234

Spro Bucktail From The Surf?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I've used them from the beach, but the heavier ones of course touch bottom too readily.  The lighter ones work fine, but are a bit wind resistant after you add a trailer to it.

I've caught teen size bass on them but as pakalolo mentioned the hooks do bend on larger fish. I now only use the Spro bucktails for fluke fishing off the beach.

The hooks are crap! Bent and broken on decent fish on more than one occasion, they look pretty but can not handle .

I've had some pretty big Jacks on 3/4 and 1 oz and I had a about a 4 ft Tarpon on a 1 oz for 3 Jumps before I forgot to "bow to the king" no hook damage. 

SPROs are great for Fluke, if you are striper fishing, look in to Andrus, BlueFrog or Asgard Jigs. 

Edited by asrodowski

I don't do much with buck tails, that's going to change this year as I am committed to hooking up with them. So all the info I can read will help me within my quest thanks.

Another option is warbait jigs. Heavy hooks and used primarily for swimbaits. I have a few I intend on using ths summer. They look like very good quality. Come dressed with silicone skirts or as plain jig heads.

Guys out west swear by them for calicos.

are spro prime bucktails better suited to vertical jigging than casting since the line tie is located further up on the head? 

The short answer is yes.  For casting from a beach or shallow angle drifting a forward balance head is better.  Bullet heads, sparkie, banana heads meet that criteria.  Smilin' bills are a good compromise too.

There are better options than the spro jigs. Hooks are questionable at best, if you bend the hook point they are difficult to resharpen. The smiling jig head falls slower and the banana head is a nice choice for bottom bouncing. Look for the best hook available and select the right weight for the depth your fishing..