ltruong110

Newbies Look Here! Revised 4-1-2018 To be made current. Added new categories

Rate this topic

409 posts in this topic

For plugs to begin with, you can't go wrong with any Gibbs plugs. When I first started out it was either Gibbs or Super Strike. This is a nice post for the people just starting out, it's informative and I'm sure will help many with gear choices and decisions.

Another entry level rod that should be considered is the LL Bean Surf Classic line. They seem to be the Tsunami Trophy line with LL Bean branding etc. The 9' is $100 and rated 1-4oz with Fuji guides and cork grips. It casts well with a 1oz bucktail and SP minnow, and the SS Littleneck at 2 3/8 seems to be around its sweet spot.  Its also backed by LL Beans lifetime warranty which many people here can attest to. I have had this rod for several seasons now and its been great. I have it paired up with an SSV4500 as I prefer a lighter weight setup and reccomend it to anyone looking for a solid affordable setup. This is going to be my main rig until I can save up for a Torque 5.

Nice thread. Just a question. What are peoples opinion on the Legends vs Slingshot vs Vapor. 

Also whats a good rod for boats for tautog fishing and striper fishing. Looking for a nice short rod for the boat thats not too filmsy and nice and on the stiffer side but sensitive.

This is totally off the subject. But I'm new on here. How long do I have to wait before I can pm ppl and how do I do it ??

BTW I did all my research online and made friends w alot of experienced surf casters. They helped teach me alot of things and in a short period of time I had the swing of it nailing fish. Still have to learn to read the beaches right. But I will soon enough. But please help me w the pm and posting pics

This is totally off the subject. But I'm new on here. How long do I have to wait before I can pm ppl and how do I do it ??

BTW I did all my research online and made friends w alot of experienced surf casters. They helped teach me alot of things and in a short period of time I had the swing of it nailing fish. Still have to learn to read the beaches right. But I will soon enough. But please help me w the pm and posting pics

On 7/31/2015 at 10:39 AM, SurfCastersSquadron said:

Did you receive a welcome PM when you joined? If you did it shoukd have explained all that in there. And I believe it's in the user agreement you were suppose to read when you joined. But here is the link to the Buy/Sell Guidelines

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/89-general-buyselltrade-forum/#elForumRules

* There is a link in the menu at the top of every page to the site guidelines.

Edited by TimS
fixed link

Another entry level rod that should be considered is the LL Bean Surf Classic line. They seem to be the Tsunami Trophy line with LL Bean branding etc. The 9' is $100 and rated 1-4oz with Fuji guides and cork grips. It casts well with a 1oz bucktail and SP minnow, and the SS Littleneck at 2 3/8 seems to be around its sweet spot. Its also backed by LL Beans lifetime warranty which many people here can attest to. I have had this rod for several seasons now and its been great. I have it paired up with an SSV4500 as I prefer a lighter weight setup and reccomend it to anyone looking for a solid affordable setup. This is going to be my main rig until I can save up for a Torque 5.

What is recommended for wading boots i figured id buy ultralight waders from either llbean or cabelas. And im guessing a lugged boot im not sure id be climbing out on the jettys. Cant afford to get hurt if i change my mind i guess i could buy corkers. For now im wading in board shorts and bare feet

As far as a tackle box im using a soft igloo cooler with a few bucktails etc. pretty ghetto. But when i wrap a keeper fluke in a wet towel its usually still alive when i ride home from the point

What is recommended for wading boots?........ For now im wading in board shorts and bare feet

Beans and Cabellas both good and economical.

Barefoot... like Zeno when he started!!!!