ltruong110

Newbies Look Here! Revised 4-1-2018 To be made current. Added new categories

Rate this topic

408 posts in this topic

Great list! Long time lurker here but I finally joined up! Been fishing my whole life but recently got into the surf fishing a striper game. Thanks for the helpful information!

Thank you for taking the time to write all that up.  I fly fish so i know very little about spinning rods but would like to purchase a decent one to keep on the boat. Saved me a bunch of time looking all over the net.  Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I take it this is a place I can come here, and freely ask newbie questions?

For those who fish the beaches, how do you carry around all your gear, if you're bringing multiple rods.  Rod bag?

Those seem a little small for the long rods we use, at least the bags I'm looking at. I will be carrying 3 rods with me if I'm using bait, plus tackle box, plugs, chair, bucket, maybe more stuff I'm forgetting, idk. Seems like a lot to carry if you're walking a long way. Right now I wear a backpack that carries my box and plugs. One hand has a rod (I only have one atm...) and bucket. Other I'm holding my chair. Not even carrying a cooler with me.

Edited by kyleeng

I used to do the same thing but it was annoying and I was too brain scattered to effectively fish like that. So, narrow focus and gear to either bait or plugs.

Plugs should require just one rod w/reel and just one bag. Leave everything else in the car. You can move/walk around to different parts of the spot you’re at, or easily get back in the car and drive to a whole new location. This is my preferred way to fish. No smelly messy bait to piss off my wife or go bad before I get to use it. No preplanning or worrying about getting to the B&T before it closes. Much less to set up, break down, put away, when I’m done. 

I still sometimes chuck bait, though. You can ditch the plug bag (rod too if you have a separate bait combo) back in the car. Grab your bait fishing bucket with everything including bait in it, rod holder if needed, and head back to your spot. You probably don’t need a chair but some people go that route. Overall, I used to get more “action” with bait because of all the skates & dogfish, but same or less stripers/blues/etc. 

Good luck and keep trying to simplify your approach & your gear. It will make it easier and maximize your time actually fishing which is a big key to catching fish. Can’t catch without an offering in the water. 

Thanks @EricDice, seems like people mainly just carry things by hand then, not something that packs everything into one bag...

How do I know what action I want in a rod? Is that dependent on what I fish for and what lure I use? How so?

Rod strength is largely the determining factor in target species and vice versa. But a “light” or ML 9’ surf rod is not the same as a “light” or ML 6’ freshwater rod. So, there’s some context and subtext to all of the strength ratings. Look at the rod rating within its category: light vs heavy surf rods, light vs heavy inshore rods. Look at the lure weight rating and match it to what you’ll be throwing. 

Thats probably the easy part. 

The harder to understand aspect is the action. My understanding is the faster action blanks have stiffer response, bend is more at the tip. You should feel a fish hit faster, although one could argue that the fish feels the pull/resistance of the rod faster, too. Either way, moderate fast and fast action have definitely given me a better feel for the bottom. Very important for bottom fishing fluke/flounder - fish which are also prone to light hits (mouthing the bait). But you can catch a doormat on a noodle rod too. Most guys use moderate fast to fast action for stripers/blues/etc. I have one like this. I also have a moderate action Med Heavy 9’ surf rod (graphite & e-glass) that I use for live eels and rigged eels, as well as occasionally for bigger plugs. A decent sized striper is typically going to slam those kind of offerings. This moderate rod is forgiving to the hard hit and makes for a fun fight but enough backbone to set the hook. It’s the opposite of finesse style fishing!

More importantly, heres a link to a thread about action that’ll make my answer look silly:

Posted (edited) · Report post

@EricDice that thread makes it look like no one knows what they are talking about. Heck, not that I know anything, but it sounds like everyone is confusing, or using interchangeably, the concept of power and action, even though they know what each is, superficially. I get what power is, I think. It's essentially the strength of the rod, not where it bends or how fast it bends.

Two rods of the same power, regardless if slow or fast, should be able to bring in the same fish, otherwise, they would not have the same power. Whether it feels the same or not is a different story. Everything outside of this, I still don't really understand

Side note, which you probably don't need to read, but it's interesting. I'm very big into weightlifting, so I almost see power like that. Two people who can lift the same weight for a maximal attempt (power) may vary in explosiveness. For the more explosive lifter, all the weights until (and/or including the maximal attempt) will feel pretty easy because it is fast. For the slower, grinder lifter, they may all feel hard. But at some point for the explosive lifter, the weight simply does not go up, because his speed cannot carry him through. The weight ceases, and even though everything looked easy prior, the next increment after max is a complete fail (as if it isn't even close), whereas for the slower lifter, the next weight is a more predictable fail; the weight may look like it is going up, and he may be close, but he simply misses the lift at some point. Calling all this fast or slow is only in weightlifting, and I'm not making any reference to fishing, but the "feeling" of the weight certainly seems like it sounds a little bit like action.

ANYWAY, I have a few more questions if anyone is still looking at this thread.

What types of lures are good for what conditions, GENERALLY? Where I'm going with this is I've bought some well known lures, but since then, I've learned a lot of them are based on conditions.

I've heard darter and/or bombers are mainly good at night; correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Bottle plugs are great in more rough water. It seems like when I go out often here in the Jersey beaches, waters are more often rough than not, so should be getting a few bottle plugs?

Poppers are typically better in calmer waters, because it makes a lot of commotion, and I probably shouldn't bother with this when the water is rough. Maybe stick to bays using poppers? 

Night fishing often depends on sound and vibration, not so much visual. So maybe it isn't best to use a SP minnow or deadly dick at night, because those lures are supposed to catch the attention of fish by retrieving them quickly.

I also hear bucktails pretty much are a staple. Should I be buying a ton of bucktails? Different weights, hair density, different trailers, etc?

Also I was wondering, why do I bother free lining live bait? Isn't the whole goal of a fish is to stay alive? So If I'm free lining it, won't it try its damn best to swim away from the predator? Assuming no rocks, isn't a better option, almost 100% of the time, to chicken rig it? So that it can still swim freely, within some area, but can't escape from that area.

Edited by kyleeng

9 mins ago, Neng15 said:

Hey, is there a way to get back my old account, been a member since 2014, lost my email password. 

Email me tims@stripersonline.com and let me know what your old username was and/or your old email address.

TimS