ltruong110

Newbies Look Here! Revised 4-1-2018 To be made current. Added new categories

Rate this topic

393 posts in this topic

Great job putting this together to help the members newer to the sport or getting more into it.

Gotta give you credit for taking the time to do it...I'm sure there'll be continued input to this by the SOL community.

I know you noted 'shoes' in genegal, but how about the all important 'cleat sandals' like korkers sandals for rocky areas.

Thanks

You should probably edit the higher end rods.. 

Legends are known to snap and I personally wouldn't tell someone to buy one.. 

The GSB series from Lamiglas are probably the most popular, well known rod models used by surfcasters.. Specifically the 1201m and the 1321m

Fiberstar should be in this category in this category as well 

Good job :) 

Edited by Iannotti

Thanks for taking the time to do this. its a bout 8 months too late for me - I assembled similar info last summer - used the once-useful search function, but this will def help newcomers!

Great post.  The new guys will thank you.  The braided lines section needs more IMO.  +1 for Spiderwire Invisi and Berkley Trilene braid (check Paulus' website, these two offer some of the highest lb test to diameter ratio). 

Great job putting this together to help the members newer to the sport or getting more into it. Gotta give you credit for taking the time to do it...I'm sure there'll be continued input to this by the SOL community. I know you noted 'shoes' in genegal, but how about the all important 'cleat sandals' like korkers sandals for rocky areas. Thanks

I will try to add different shoes types for beach and rocky areas. I have yet to look for a pair that I would like to buy. But when I do I will make sure to add the cleat sandals! Thanks!

You should probably edit the higher end rods.. 

Legends are known to snap and I personally wouldn't tell someone to buy one.. 

The GSB series from Lamiglas are probably the most popular, well known rod models used by surfcasters.. Specifically the 1201m and the 1321m

Fiberstar should be in this category in this category as well 

Good job :)

As I gather more info I will continue to edit the more expensive rods section. I am still learning on what is a good high end rod. That is why I wanted to label that section as expensive rods.

Thanks for the heads up about the legend I will look for a review on here about them and link it.

I wanted to add the GSB but I think that is just a blank? I am trying to put only factory made rods up for the time being. If there is a factory made one please let me know so I can add it. I will eventually add a section for blank rods as well. Thanks!

Great post.  The new guys will thank you.  The braided lines section needs more IMO.  +1 for Spiderwire Invisi and Berkley Trilene braid (check Paulus' website, these two offer some of the highest lb test to diameter ratio). 

Added to the list. Thanks!

I will try to add different shoes types for beach and rocky areas. I have yet to look for a pair that I would like to buy. But when I do I will make sure to add the cleat sandals! Thanks!

As I gather more info I will continue to edit the more expensive rods section. I am still learning on what is a good high end rod. That is why I wanted to label that section as expensive rods.

Thanks for the heads up about the legend I will look for a review on here about them and link it.

I wanted to add the GSB but I think that is just a blank? I am trying to put only factory made rods up for the time being. If there is a factory made one please let me know so I can add it. I will eventually add a section for blank rods as well. Thanks!

Added to the list. Thanks!

Yeah the GSB is just a blank, but most people dropping that much on a rod generally go custom and they pick out a blank. 

Yes, I feel it should be pinned and just be a noob mega thread to help us noobs out.

Might as well post it here, how is the Lamiglas Insane Surf 11' 2-6 oz?

Edited by NYIsles55