Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

Bimini What's Its Purpose

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I have been working to improve my knot skills. I see the Bimini mentioned many times. What sits purpose and is applicable to a surf fisherman who mainly uses spinning gear? Charlie

It's basically a spring. When a fast, strong hit happens, the knot stretches out somewhat, acting a little like a shock absorber ..... well, that's what I was told by the guide who taught it to me.

I'm not sure of too many uses for it in the surf, but it is one of the stronger knots out there and it won't weaken the main line. I've mostly seen it used in offshore scenarios for attaching leaders to the main line.

For me it's purpose was the challenge. I knew it made for a super strong loop..also knew it looked so intimidating/difficult to tie. So I had to do it..and I done it.

It's a 100% knot, meaning knot strength is , or close to, 100% of the line rating. Supposedly......

What you have after tying the knot is a doubled line that I've used to tie my main line to the leader. Of course, now with braid, maintaining knot strength is less of an issue than it was when lots of guys were using 20 lb mono or less.

Fun knot to tie.

Posted (edited) · Report post

read this closely fellow fisherman...a useful gem here for you all  :read:

I am very careful about my knots.... In my close to 50 years of fishing I have only had 3 knot failures...

every time it was that darn connection where most of join our mainline to our leader... so your main line is tied to a swivel which is then tied to your leader which is tied to the snap which is snapped onto the lure... the major stress point here is where you first tie your running main line to that swivel thats where the knot fails or snaps or breaks.... it cost me 3 trophy fish  :blackeye: ...    you dont want to feel that pain in your heart watching a 60 pound striper swimming off 2 yards from shore.... :banghd:   its a devastating memory that haunts you your entire life  :freak:

I tried every knot and was not satisfied until I discovered the Bimini twist.... its a wonderful knot for use in this situation.... its not only 100% strong it gives you a double line loop to work with in the end... let me explain...

Because of the braid revolution most of us are now using ultra thin mainlines... now braid is a powerful line for sure but it "shock resistance SUCKS" so a sharp quick snap to the line (a miscast, a hard strike, or lure stuck on the bottom and you trying to jar it free) all of these can snap the best braids out there...    this is where the Bimini twist is a blessing from God!  :angel:

With mono the bimini twist makes a large glob knot that defeats the stealth presentation most of us target in our lure fishing (the bimini twist was invented for offshore fishing where huge marlin would smack a lure a 50MPH so an extra strong knot was needed with shock absorbing features) but with thin modern braid the bimini twist makes a usable small stealthy knot which is 100% strong and gives you the much needed shock absorbing ability that regular braid knots don't have. "and" you get a double line loop to tie a regular clinch knot to your swivel...

Ever since I started using the bimini twist on my main braid line to that all important swivel knot before the leader I have had zero failures landed some nasty angry large mean fish and (here is another great benefit) and when I got my lure or bucktail stuck on the bottom I was able to put huge pressure on the lure and pull it out without line break.. I was able to straighten out hooks on bottomstuck lures and still pulled them out of the rocks...

So with mono the knot may look intimidating or unstealthy.. but with braid?  Ahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaa   :drool: now you have something that you can work with... plus it wears well.. I have used one knot for a month without retying it is "that strong"...

Its not that hard to ty as it looks.. the principle is easy... like anything else just do it over and over until you develop the hands skills...

I think that the Bimini twist is a VERY VALUABLE knot in the surf fisherman arsenal that has been overlooked due to its seemingly over complex construction and large size.... The good news is that its not that hard to tie and when you use braid it makes a nice small knot and the payback is that you have a VERY POWERFUL connection to your leader that is SHOCK ABSORBENT creating a double line to your swivel knot that is stronger than your main line. :th:  

It will take some time to master tieing it and shaping it perfectly but one day when you hook a very large unexpected powerful fish that is straining your tackle to its limits you will be very happy deep inside knowing that your leader knot is rock solid and up to the task... as the reel drag screams and your heart races you'll feel a lot better as you fight that fish of a lifetime.

you can learn how to tie it here..-> 

Edited by Awesome John

i never seem to have a wire leader when the blues come in to the southern cape beaches in the spring. so i tie a bimini in my 50#mono leader and use the double line as added bluefish protection. 

I recently tried using a bimini for making a double line in braid.

I then treat this double line as if it is a single, and tie an alberto knot to splice to my heavy mono leader.

I found this to be the strongest connection of braid-to-mono of anything I tried. 

When I used other knots to make the double line loop - like a surgeons loop, perfection end loop, or the loop knot shown in the rapala booklets - the loop knot itself would be the breaking point. Not to say those weren't strong, and MUCH faster, but if rigging in advance where maximal strength is needed (not striped bass or fluke or sea bass!), I'll use the bimini-alberto. 

Edited by billthe5th

always seemed time consuming and unnecessary for inshore saltwater use. 

You dont know what your missing brother...

Actually it has its place... even in fresh water the pro who target big bass using 6pound test ultra light outfits want to use large balsa swimmers so the use the bimini twist to create a double line of that 6pd test to tie ınto a 10 foot leader of 12pound test and thats how they broke all those world records on light line..

Its easy to tie once you get the feel and a valuable know to have in your arsenal..

I just tie a spider hitch in the braid and be done with it.  

Bimini twist is a relic of days past.  It's a knot for mono.  They slip with braid.  

If I don't need a loop for a windon, I use a Red Phillips knot, which is far superior to basically any other mono to braid connection.   

Edited by Captain Planet

You can also tie a Bristol knot to the Bimini. Great knot. Was tested to be stronger than the uni to uni as well as the albright

Just wonering, did you see this knot tested on the TV show North American fisherman? I was going to goggle the episode. Thanks RC