Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achase

Sliding Patio Door

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I have a 20-30 year old Anderson door on my back patio. I just recently pulled apart the lock/backset because the handle wasn't popping back up. I found a spring had broken. It was easy to adjust the spring and make a new lip on the end of it. Lubed it all up and reassembled. Working beautifully! I also adjusted the the hinge side to square the door for better closure. Very easy and a great set up. I would highly recommend an Anderson door. Especially compared to what I'm dealing with in my front door which is not an Anderson. I also installed all Anderson windows and couldn't be happier with them either. They make a solid product.

are you sure that HD is way less (do they include all the parts, screens, locks, etc.) in their price, make sure you are comparing apples and apples 

I don't know where you are from, but I would look outside HD or Lowes for a replacement door. Most of the stuff they sell is trashy as its priced for the "cheap" home market. Years ago I bought doors from Lowes and they work, but the glass seals fail and get moisture in the doors, the doors don't seat as I would like and the frames have twisted.

Look for the local stores the contractors buy from and look at them. Lowes and HD might have some higher end doors if you ask about them. I've put a new door from Jeld Wen on the front and the garage when I buit it and both are holdup nicely. I also replaced all the windows in the house with BF Rich and those windows are top noch IMO.

A few higher end vendors for research:

BF Rich

Integrity

Jeld Wen

Marvin

Therm tru

are you sure that HD is way less (do they include all the parts, screens, locks, etc.) in their price, make sure you are comparing apples and apples 

One of the independants who quoted me a door said he couldn't get it as cheaply as HD. 

I haven't called Andersen to ask them if they produce a different quality door for HD but they are listed on the Andersen site as a certified dealer.

One note: the door on display at HD (frenchwood-400 series) was in crappy shape and did not function well at all. Can't understand why they'd display a door in that condition.??

I can't speak for door manufacturers but I can speak for appliances. Manufacturers produce the same product for HD, Lowe's and all the other big box stores as theybvdo any other dealer. One difference was always the model numbers. Manufacturers make specific model numbers for big stores that push a lot of product. The main reason is to not be able to compare pricing. Most places say that they will match any other advertised price. Near impossible if you can't provide a matching model number.

It would take a massive influx in sales to convince a manufacturer to re-tool an assembly line ore even better, to run two or more separate assembly lines for the same product. Not saying its not done but I assure there is no difference between a Maytag washer from HD vs the one from Ron's Appliances. I still say go to Ron's but in the end, you're probably getting the same product.

Given the fact that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of HD's and Lowes around, yes, a manuf. would set up another line so he could sell his less expensive (inferior?) product to thousands of more customers at a reduced price. I've dealt with the big box store and local mom & pop places since Sandy to replace appliances and the mom and pop place was more than wiling to go the extra mile to help us out, can't say that about the big guys, there reaction was take it or leave it.  

Given the fact that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of HD's and Lowes around, yes, a manuf. would set up another line so he could sell his less expensive (inferior?) product to thousands of more customers at a reduced price. I've dealt with the big box store and local mom & pop places since Sandy to replace appliances and the mom and pop place was more than wiling to go the extra mile to help us out, can't say that about the big guys, there reaction was take it or leave it.

Not denying the customer service aspect one bit, trust me. I try to shop at mom and pop places as much as possible. That wasn't what I was saying. I just meant the construction of whatever we are buying. I know the sales numbers from HD and Lowes. When I worked for Maytag, HD was our biggest seller, worldwide. Yet, there was no difference in the design or construction of the appliances.

Honestly, I only shop at HD or Lowes out of necessity. I don't have a small hardware store around me. At least not as close as HD.

There are a lot of good sliding door companies out there.I worked at the millwork dept at HD and another custom millwork that supplied most retailers in my area.I usually recommended Andersen because of their quality and it is easy to get parts for them should something break.I like the vinyl clad doors,aluminum is okay,just not in coastal areas,they get pitted.

Guys,

Found this woman who realized she'd rather have doors that are 3" taller. She's selling these really cheap.

If they look good to go when we get there, I think I'll take them (2- 6 footers.) They're the exact ones I wanted but don't appear to have screens. I think that shouldn't be a problem. What do you think?

post-24479-0-02497100-1428630345_thumb.jpeg