Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achase

Sliding Patio Door

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Guys,

Need to shop for a 6' sliding door w/ screen. I'd love all wood but not sure I can afford it.

Anyway, I've only been researching on-line and reading various horror stories about Pella, which was going to be the first ones I looked at.

Any advice you could offer before I go and see some?

Thanks,

Andrew

I put an Anderson sliding door (400 series) in a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier with it.  If I remember right it was around 1200 or 1400 for everything. (Door,lock set and screen)

Me and my brothers Larry and Moe just installed an Andersen 400 series door for my mom, and I was very impressed with the quality of the thing. It was hinged, not sliding, but you get the idea. 

And as the sun now stands, I will never voluntarily give Pella another nickel. About two years ago, I had to order replacement parts for my Andersen sliding screen door, and for my mother's Pella windows. The difference between the two experiences -- Andersen couldn't have been easier to deal with, and their parts prices were very very cheap; everything about Pella sucked balls, including the outrageous prices they charged -- made me swear off Pella forever, and become an Andersen man. I like their stuff, and I like the way they are committed to servicing their stuff (replacement parts) longer than the law requires them to. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks Belmo,

BTW, Curly, Shemp or Joe?

All you guys who bought Anderson, did you get them at big box stores? I'm looking in Long Island.

Edited by achase

Thanks Belmo,

All you guys who bought Anderson, did you get them at big box stores? I'm looking in Long Island.

My advice would be to avoid the big box stores -- I've found that the people in them know less than the people in independent stores. If you know what you want, this may or may not matter, but dealing with someone who knows what they're doing is always a good thing. 

Go to the Andersen website and look up dealers -- you should get a couple of independent ones near you. 

Did some calling around. HD has the 400 series for way less than the lumberyard and the independant window store. I asked for the same options so I'm assuming they're the same door. Unless Andersen makes a sub-standard model for HD?

Do yourself a favor and get them pre-primed if you plan on painting them. There are parts that are tought to paint on the windows and doors once they are installed. The parts you can't get t easily will at least be a bit protected.

And I would NEVER buy a high end mfgr like that at a box store. I would only buy from a cerified dealer.

That being said, the Jeldwen vinyl with the build in shades I got from HD are perfectly acceptable. Make sure the sill is absolutely flat. The vinyl frames are easy to pull out of plumb, level square since they flex much more than wood or aluminum. Get the rough in as close to perfect as possible.

Thanks Belmo,

Bought ours from HD.  No problems at all.