Striper_Striper99

How To Catch Big Summer Flounder

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

I have been fishing for flounder for years now, semi-successfully. This year I would like to target big, doormat sized flounder. I have a boat. Not looking for specific locations, but what type of area should I fish? Any certain bait better than others?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Actually tomatoguy gave u the best info. Baits are worthless if they're not presented in the right location. When looking for big fluke location is everything. Fluke are stupid and very aggressive most times they will hit just about anything.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't know where you are fishing but here in NJ waters I use a SPRO bucktail just heavy enough to tick the bottom with a 5/0 bait-saver hook about 14 inches above it on a 4 to 6 inch snelled leader.  On both I use GULP.  If you are targeting the BIG fish, go with the 6 inch grubs on those hooks.  Try to fish rocky patches and the edges of inshore wrecks.  You'll lose rigs but it is worth it. Trust me, it works.  

post-1581-0-82806600-1428342584_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spigola

Actually tomatoguy gave u the best info. Baits are worthless if they're not presented in the right location. When looking for big fluke location is everything. Fluke are stupid and very aggressive most times they will hit just about anything.

Thanks! I get right over the structure,  do cry a lot about losing gear, but it's part of the game. The nj reefs are good, I drift over the wrecks. Seem to get pretty good results. That's a late season thing. Didn't start hitting the reefs last yr until late July. Until then, pegged to the beach.  It just chaps my butt to lose a $6 spro. And I do not like gulp. at all. you guys can have it. Matter of fact gave all mine away. And I had a large tupperware, not the gulp tub, full. I know guys catch on it, have seen nice fish caught, it's just not for me.

This is very true. I fish on party boats, so I don't worry re location. Weeding out the smaller fish is my main concern, esp later in the season. 

This is very true. I fish on party boats, so I don't worry re location. Weeding out the smaller fish is my main concern, esp later in the season. 

I should revise my comment... the best advise for ME. I already know where to fish, I am just looking for baits/techniques as of now.

In my experience there really nothing that will eliminate small fluke. I've tried it all. Big hooks, big baits, bucktails, gulp, snappers and whole squid lol it doesn't matter those little bastards attack anything and everything. The only thing I can really say that kept small fluke away was whole spot.

Thanks! I get right over the structure,  do cry a lot about losing gear, but it's part of the game. The nj reefs are good, I drift over the wrecks. Seem to get pretty good results. That's a late season thing. Didn't start hitting the reefs last yr until late July. Until then, pegged to the beach.  It just chaps my butt to lose a $6 spro. And I do not like gulp. at all. you guys can have it. Matter of fact gave all mine away. And I had a large tupperware, not the gulp tub, full. I know guys catch on it, have seen nice fish caught, it's just not for me.

Spros are overrated IMO. Nice looking bucktails but they don't catch any better than cheapos in my experience.