Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucky

Lake Parsippany

14 posts in this topic

This happened to Budd Lake following the brutal winter of 1993-1994. It was heartbreaking to see the number of monster pike that died. Oxygen deprivation was supposedly the cause due to excessively thick ice. Budd, and probably Lake Parsippany, are very shallow.

I read that Lake Parsippany was lowered 3 feet recently even though there was still ice and suffocated many fish because the ice was right top of them. A damn shame.

Our lake is shallow too and still was mostly under ice until this past Thursday. No fish kill at all though, thank god. But then the POA never lowered it. They do the lake lowering in November.

The place needs to be dredged. Crying shame Kaldsk

That stinks, I've thought for awhile they should have dredged it. I know they did sections of it a few years ago but all they did was remove piles of nice rock structure in a few sections which killed those areas from holding fish. The poa has never seemed to be big on helping the fishing quality, tthey have always been content with just stocking the trout in the Spring, the lake has lucked out with pretty good fishing just bc of the lack of pressure. It's been that way since I was growing up there as a kid.

I'm trying to convince the wife to buy a house in Geoff Ts neighborhood ...

Jeez, just looked over the Lake Parsippany rules - way tooooo many and restrictive compared to our lake.   Basically the fishing/boating rules we have to follow are a NJ license with trout stamp, have a valid POA badge, no boat greater than 16 ft and no motor HP greater than 10, obey no wake signs, and stay about 50 feet away from private lakefront properties when fishing.   Otherwise, can fish all night (boat or shore) if you want to as long as you have the appropriate night lights, can fish under and around any private, public or swim docks, rocks, dam with certain exceptions such as fishing from selected beaches only as long as there's a fishing dock.   Nothing is said about having to wear life jackets so I assume we are asked to use common sense and follow state/local laws regarding their use.   Our POA has been very good about keeping lake water and fishing quality high.

Edited by GeoffT

I read that Lake Parsippany was lowered 3 feet recently even though there was still ice and suffocated many fish because the ice was right top of them. A damn shame.

Our lake is shallow too and still was mostly under ice until this past Thursday. No fish kill at all though, thank god. But then the POA never lowered it. They do the lake lowering in November.

This.  They killed them.  

It was filthy with carp, to the point that word was getting out about it as a carp spot (if you were able to gain meaningful access).