Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdogfish

Looking For A Clear Wf-I 9 Wt. That's Good In Cold.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking for a good intermediate sink WF line that's clear- or at least has a clear head.

Airflo Ridge Supple Impact good for cold- but not clear.

Airflow Ridge Clear- obviously clear, but how does that do in May and November? (not snow and ice weather)

Maybe the Rio Striper-clear, with the luminous running line for nighttime.  How does that do in cold water?

Stripers in the backbays, creeks, and calm surf/boulders.

Thanks.

Seems the Airflo CLEAR coldwater is only available up to 6 wt.

So thats too bad...but they have other coldwater salt lines

Theres the Sniper Intermediate and the Ridged Striper intermediate. What think ye of these two?

For cold weather operations (i.e. Striper fishing) I have good experience(s) with the standard RIO Striper line ... as well as the RIO Outbound tapers (cold water) with floating fly line and a 15 foot clear head on the front end.

Others will know more about the Airflo (Sniper?) lines. I love their old school Striper lines ... the newer one does not have a clear head. Try posting in the Want To Buy forum and see what shows up.

I have used Airflo few years ago but I don't believe in clear lines because they coil too much and when sun shines they scare fish when they reflect and sometimes even seem to amplify light. After I did use mud to remove the shine it turned opaque so it did not reflect light anymore and coiling was less too but it is still more difficult for me to see and still coils and stretch more than normal lines.

When it is sunny and calm I use mud to remove shine from Nylon leader.

Esa

I have the ridged striper int in 10 wt. Its one of may favorite lines. Its the light blue one. Might be the only line that I have never really tangled and it shoots pretty good. I have a rio streamer tip s3 that has a clear head that does pretty good but the clear portion is a different coating and is a litle tacky in the guides, might just be something with that particular line.  KironaFly do you find that on the clear head with rio's striper lines as well?

I would not get hung up on the clear aspect of an Intermediate line, especially if it is a full intermediate, I have used the Air Flo Clear Blue Poly Fuse Cold Water Intermediate for years. It cats great , never tangles and lasts for years.

There is not a single circumstance where I would not use this line for Striped Bass, especially fishing in water from 2 to 10 feet on the flats and beaches.

Good luck on what ever you decide on.

I use the Access clear intermediate line from Orvis. Once in a while when it's really cold it does seem a little stiff. I've never had a tangling issue, but I do use a stripping basket. It's not too expensive either around $60. A friend of mine uses the Orvis Hydros clear sink tip I've tried it a few times it works really well, I may upgrade this year.

Struggling with the new website.  Apparently QUOTE does not work for me.  And frustratingly, copy and paste does not either.

so old school...

bonefishdick; you said you like the Airflo Clear Blue Poly fuse Intermediate.

I can't find this anywhere.

Polyfuse XT Coldwater? Maybe this is an out-of-production line.  I see it one one Brittish website.  That's it.

I've used a blue airflo intermediate for years (forgot which one - maybe same as BFD) and have loved it.  I've also like the Rio Outbounds (cold water version).  I've never gotten hung up on clear lines, as I've caught stripers on the flats dragging black depth charge lines through 4 foot deep clear water over sand in the middle of the day with 4 foot leaders and stripers don't seem to care.  

The newer AirFlo Ridge  blue lines Intermediate lines should be available just about anywhere.  I have an WF8I and WF10I and they are great lines.  The blue lines are cold water lines.  

I've never gotten hung up on clear lines, as I've caught stripers on the flats dragging black depth charge lines through 4 foot deep clear water over sand in the middle of the day with 4 foot leaders and stripers don't seem to care.  

What he said. I'm also in total agreement with Esa's post about clear heads being too refractive on a bright day. First thing I do when puchasing a new clear head line is to wet sand the entire head with 1500 grit paper, smoothes and dulls them down real good.

Bobby

And I'd have to agree w/ you and Esa too about line shine.

Flouro,for all the hype about invisibility is just as bad till you take the shine off.

Got schooled hard on line shine several years ago on a flat in CC.All the way down to 12lb tippet and still spooking fish.Tied on a new piece of tippet and a fresh fly,dropped it at my feet to see what they were seeing that scared them and I saw it as soon as I tugged on the fly:sunlight flashing off the line.Rubbed the tippet in sand to dull it and was able to go back to 20 and not get refused.Who'd've thought?Definitely something I pay attention to now fishing sunny days.