hobobob

Is The Van Staal Pinion Self Serviceable? Any Change To It On The Vsx?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Questions for Van Staal owners. How many of you service the pinion gear / bearing by yourself? Does it require yearly service, greasing?  Any change made to it on the new VSX version?  From the few videos that I found, servicing it require some complicated tool that an average Joe does not have.

Posted (edited)

You cant remove the pinion gear w/o a press, so if the bearing goes you gotta remove the pinion to replace it. Don't know for sure if the VSX is the same but a guess tells me it is.Servicing it don't really require any "fancy" tools. You can buy the wrench to remove the side plate from VS, I don't remember the cost but its not expensive. A dental pick that you can pickup in a hardware store for a couple of bucks and youll have all you need. Those reels are some of the simplest reels to service. Changing pinion bearing and anti reverse bearing is where you need the special tools.

Edited by needles

Posted (edited)

There is non factory tooling  available. The advantage is it allows you to change the main seal and main seal carrier o-ring. You can also change the main bearing if need be while you have the pinion off. The cost is about a $100 for the tooling.

The side cover is the problem when it comes to service. Getting it off is easy-Getting the bearings out and the new ones back in takes some doing and a fortune in custom made tooling. I had custom made bearing pullers made in order to do side cover bearing replacement and the cost was several hundred dollars. There may be a cheaper way to do it that didn't occur to me but I haven't seen it as yet. If I had to do it over again when it comes to the side cover anti reverse bearing and needle bearing I would save the tooling $ and just send it to "Q" at River's End.Four VS reels since 1999 and I have never had to change a side cover component except for the seal. Change that seal once a season and put a few drops of oil on it after every dunking and no problems.

I haven't had the VSX apart yet but have seen photos and it looks the same as the VS. The profile of the traverse guide is different but the assembly of the reel looks the same. VS hasn't said anything about it being different so I ASSUME it is the same. 

Marc 

Edited by mml4

I haven't had to change my pinion bearing on any of my VS reels yet. I use my reels alot and i do my own service on them when need be. Since I switched to using oil instead of grease several years ago I never had to replace any internal parts except for the traverse guide, reason being that it cracked when it fell off my dresser during the off season. VS made an upgrade to the traverse guides and I purchased 4 and replaced them in all my reels, funny thing is I paid about $5 for each one from VS 2yrs. ago, now they charge $14 each!!  :confused:  Getting back to that tool needed to access the pinion bearing, go on you tube under Van Staal repairs and a gentleman from a B&T sells the tool and shows you how to use it step by step. I plan to buy one this year so if anybody hear purchased one it would be good to hear about it. Good Luck!!

I haven't had to change my pinion bearing on any of my VS reels yet. I use my reels alot and i do my own service on them when need be. Since I switched to using oil instead of grease several years ago I never had to replace any internal parts except for the traverse guide, reason being that it cracked when it fell off my dresser during the off season. VS made an upgrade to the traverse guides and I purchased 4 and replaced them in all my reels, funny thing is I paid about $5 for each one from VS 2yrs. ago, now they charge $14 each!!  :confused:  Getting back to that tool needed to access the pinion bearing, go on you tube under Van Staal repairs and a gentleman from a B&T sells the tool and shows you how to use it step by step. I plan to buy one this year so if anybody hear purchased one it would be good to hear about it. Good Luck!!

WHAT!! so your saying you upgraded your VS to a VSX for $5 because that's all they changed was the traverse guide

Posted (edited)

WHAT!! so your saying you upgraded your VS to a VSX for $5 because that's all they changed was the traverse guide

No that's not what I meant, the traverse guide on a VSX is cut different that's why you don't get the hour glass line lay. On the regular VS the upgraded they traverse guide and made it more solid but the same material. 

Edited by prican1

Oh ok I thought you bought the s traverse guide

Yeah, not that simple. You need the main gear as well.

Posted (edited)

Like Avet mentioned, pinion is easy to get off, no arbor press & plastic molds reqd.

Here's the way i do it;

There's a section of the gear just above where the gears are cut that has a full dia.

This is a wrench i designed & made that holds the pinion in that area, this area is just over run from the gear being cut & is non-functional. If your handy you may be able to improvise in a similar way.

post-25701-0-32167900-1490630463.jpg

All it takes is a simple left handed twist & its loose, i once did it with a pair of channel locks, not the best way to do it & wouldn't recommend doing it this way but it spins off easy enough, ya just cant squeeze down on it or you risk crushing the gear......

Once  the pinion is removed wrench flats can be added to the over-run area i just mentioned so it can be removed with an open end wrench the next time........ 

Edited by BillZ

Like Avet mentioned, pinion is easy to get off, no arbor press & plastic molds reqd.

Here's the way i do it;

There's a section of the gear just above where the gears are cut that has a full dia.

This is a wrench i designed & made that holds the pinion in that area, this area is just over run from the gear being cut & is non-functional. If your handy you may be able to improvise in a similar way.

attachicon.gifDSC02053.JPG

All it takes is a simple left handed twist & its loose, i once did it with a pair of channel locks, not the best way to do it & wouldn't recommend doing it this way but it spins off easy enough, ya just cant squeeze down on it or you risk crushing the gear......

Once  the pinion is removed wrench flats can be added to the over-run area i just mentioned so it can be removed with an open end wrench the next time........ 

Bill. That looks great.  Please post more info on that tool. It look simple enough to make even for a tool novice like me.

Posted (edited)

Thank you hobo, There’s other ways to go other than the way I did it, There’s a vid to follow, you can improvise on all the fancy stuff ….

Google "vanstaal pinion gear removal" the video is 4:56 long

Pull the pinion assy & reattach the flyer to hold the sleeve guide instead of the fixture in the vid to hold it.

Drill a hole just big enough in a plastic cutting board or a hockey puck, etc so that the nose of the pinion can enter it but not the complete pinion itself.

Insert a threaded rod with screws, washers, etc thru the whole thing & draw the nose of the pinion into the cutting board  just enough so it grabs it.

Hold the board & give the flyer a little CW twist to break it free, remember, its a left handed thread........

Remove threaded rod, nuts, etc & spin the gear off by hand…..

Best Regards…..

Edited by BillZ