Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RichSmith

Seen the weirdest thing the other day

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I was standing on some rocks looking into a deep channel when I noticed something break right next to me,in about a 1' of water..Then I start watchin as this 8-9# blue is just cruising in slow motion in the shallows suckin in the occasional silver side,this went on for at least an hour.Another guy said he was there just about all day the day before doing the same thing..

It was weird how casual the fish was,he had to of seen us watchin him.If I didn't see him eat a bunch of silversides,I'd say he was sick or injured,looked totaly healthy.

I've seen bluefish mill around on the surface before in deeper water,usauly early spring just before they are supposedly going off to spwan,but this was a lot different..

There were plenty of other bluefish around that day crashing acres of peanuts,but this guy seemed content at what he was doing confused.gif

Rich, that is strange for one bluefish to be outta synch with all the other bluefish yet still be healthy.

I can tell you from experience with my saltwater tank - individuals of the same species can have entirely different personalities and behaviors. Maybe this bluefish has learned that the best way to eat spearing (silversides) is to not frantically charge through the school? Fish are very capable of learning...or at least responding to reactions. If this bluefish found he could eat more spearing with less effort, then he'll get big and fat and happy smile.gif

TimS

Them things are nuts! Last fall saw two gators working in tandem totally seperate from their school. They were right in the curl of the breaking waves about 4-5 feet out, cruising back and forth, one worked right to left the other left to right, with their mouths open just sucking down peanuts. This went on for about 15 mins. I called my buddy over, he took a cast at 'em and this thing was the fattest nastiest, amber eyed rat thing had a huge gut. They're odd man all teeth and tail.

Tim,

Like I said,if I didn't see him eat,I'd a said the same thing,must be sick.He looked about as healthy as can be,and happy as a clam biggrin.gif

I did see one more fish break just outside of view once or twice,but there was a lot of other fish working not far from there,shortly after I landed a bluefish pretty close.

He followed a few of my plugs,but snubed them after a brief follow..

Rockscambler got cloeser to getting him too,but also got snubbed,so the fish was no dummy either..

You should post a pic or two of your progress on the Tank Tim,I'd be interested in seeing it,and most of all whatch ya got in it wink.gif

Who says bluefish can't be cool? Reminds me of the old bull and young bull story. He probably puts on a turtleneck and looks like Michael Caine from the Italian Job- 1969 version.

Rich, that is strange for one bluefish to be outta synch with all the other bluefish yet still be healthy.

I can tell you from experience with my saltwater tank - individuals of the same species can have entirely different personalities and behaviors. Maybe this bluefish has learned that the best way to eat spearing (silversides) is to not frantically charge through the school? Fish are very capable of learning...or at least responding to reactions. If this bluefish found he could eat more spearing with less effort, then he'll get big and fat and happy smile.gif

TimS

And have offspring that are more like him. 10,000 years from now, that may become typical bluefish behavior. wink.gif

They can see and follow you with their eyes in the water and out..

I was talking to Arnie(asabatelli,the professer) the other day and we BSing about bluefish and he read an artical that said Bluefish are one of the only fish that can see as good out of the water as in..Watch you digits biggrin.gif

I sometimes catch bluefish in places that I only associate bass with...at night in tidal creeks. I caught a blue in water that was closed off at low tide in a creek that was only 8ft wide at its mouth and ran back 30ft to an open pond that was very shallow - I was convinced only stripers did this in such shallow water sipping silversides and weaks to a lesser extent when the water was up, so a bluefish was a shock. I've caught a few over the years like this.