Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garriga

NRS Extreme SAR Drysuit

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I like overkill. It ensures you get the job done and have a cushion for safety and/or added performance.

I'm searching for a dry bottom or splash pants and top and have constantly tinkered with the idea of a Drysuit for decades. Today's drysuits have benefits that make you think they are the best solution and the cost is close to other options including waders.

My main objective are inlets on outgoing tides around south Florida and the best options are drysuits and then old reliable wetsuit. Pulling up the rear are the splash pant and top combo I'm mostly considering.

This leads me to the question at hand (sorry for the long build up). This SAR suit is designed for resue professionals that would have to ensure rough conditions and various weather conditions from extreme heat to extreme cold. Reason I like it so much.

Any personnal experience as far as practicality with casting and fishing off jetties and rocks? Durability in those conditions? I'm also liking to use it at M or other area Boulder infested rock fields.

The goal is to suit up at home and make the 2.5 hour trek plus fish and return so long term wear comfort is important. The socks are latex so not sure how that feels and I believe there are possible custom options I may pursue. I'll be wearing this with Simms OceanTek boots. Those things are super sweet for hopping rocks and that long commute.

Not looking for advise on other options. I've done more research than my brain can handle so just wondering about a SAR type Drysuit. Doesn't have to be NRS.

in search for a drysuit for kayaking, i actually ordered one... then immediately returned it.

it's well made, it's built like a tank... it is also quite rigid and heavy... but then again, you like overkill...

i felt that it was way too rigid and built for the extreme and so it was not approrpiate for me.

i know wear a kokatat lightweight gore paddling suit... it is waterproof but no latex gasket at neck for a more comfortable fit around the neck. it does allow water to seep but in the even of a dunk, this suit is to keep you dry while you get out of the water, not swim in it... 

the fabric is incredible in that it allows for some breeze to cool you... breathability is amazing on this one.

I wore kokatat while in the coast guard. Love them. Very manueverable. However you still need to dress underneath appropriately for the suit to work right. Also you must wear a type three PDF with them. Those suits don't aid in buoyancy. I guess an approved quick fill type would be acceptable. Pricey

in search for a drysuit for kayaking, i actually ordered one... then immediately returned.

That was my concern. From the literature it sounded like it was made to be maneuverable since it's meant for rescue operations. Thought it would be flexible enought to cast from an inlet jetty during an outgoing tide cycle.

I wore kokatat while in the coast guard. Love them. Very manueverable. However you still need to dress underneath appropriately for the suit to work right. Also you must wear a type three PDF with them. Those suits don't aid in buoyancy. I guess an approved quick fill type would be acceptable. Pricey

That works fine for me because I can layer to the conditions. Thought drysuits trap air and force you to float to the point you need to relieve air to become less buoyant.

That works fine for me because I can layer to the conditions. Thought drysuits trap air and force you to float to the point you need to relieve air to become less buoyant.

No you are supposed to burp the suit for manueverability. You crouch and hold the neck seal out so all the air comes out. You can't put air in them when you need more buoyancy in the water. A Pfd is a must. Poly pros against the skin to wick moisture away from the body so you don't get cold. Latex gasket is the safest neck seal. Many people don't like it because it's uncomfortable at first but it relaxes. You can trim them too but don't take a lot off.

Saw the video on burping drysuits but incorrectly assumed there was still enought air to float you. Looks like I'm back to splash pants and tops or wetsuit for ultimate safety.

Thanks all

tbh, the air trapped in your drysuit, you will find, will hinder your swimming maneuvers...

try keeping your head up off the water when your legs are puffed up like a balloon... 

the SAR suit is nicely made... they seam sealed AAAAAAND painted some added seam waterproofing stuff on all the seams... you will appreciate the detail... but you will also find that moving around in that thing will also be a workout in itself...

for casting, you may want to go lighter... it's not like you're going to take a dive very often... just getting one in case, right?

oh, and about the sox...

latex vs "breathable"

i recall when manufacturing waterproof boots in italy... basically the gist of it is that there ain't no fabric that will keep up with your feet's perspiration... and still be waterproof... hence we all suffer with damp toes in the winter time when wearing waterproof breathable boots.

layer of hydrophobic socks, like wool or poly, will do best in keeping skin dry, for a longer period of time.

latex sox seemed to give a nicer fit... better conforming to my feet... but otoh, it tears easily and iirc, some internet vids recommend you lay a padding before taking shoes off and not step on gravel/stone with latex.

easy side is latex seems easier to repair/replace, not needing some $10,000+ seam sealing machine.