Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jho20002000

Shimano Spheros 6000 question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I'm planning on buying a Japan model shimano spheros because they make 2 different gears to choose from and their cheaper from there......they make a Power gear that has a 4.6 ratio with a line retrieve of 32.5 inch per handle crank and a high gear 5.7 with a 40.5 inch per crank just like the USA models......if I'm surfing the beach casting out whole dead anchovies for stripers and rockfish here in California then which one should I choose? Once in a while I might use this for california halibut in the 10lb-15lb range off of a private boat in San Francisco Bay.......thanks for any input cause I'm not too sure on which one to get...

Thanks, Johnny

The lower gear makes more sense if you will be

throwing bait from the beach or jigging from a

boat. What the lower gear loses in line retreival

it makes up in power. I use the lower gear to

throw lures from. the beach, a d I am plenty

happy with mine. The Xship is amazing on

these reels.

I'm not sure where you got the info, but many retailers and Shimano list the USA model with a 4.6 ratio just like the previous FB model. I'm assuming your looking at the Spheros 6000SW. Anyway, the 4.6:1 gear ratio excellent for the use you described and their drag system is also one of the smoothest.

On Shimano fishing website it shows the Saragosa SW has a 5.7 ratio and the Spheros SW is 4.6. Is that an error?? Hope this helps.

Thxs very much Tagman.....I was looking leaning towards that one more and I really appreciate the feedback

Thxs also Paul NJ, I'm actually looking at shimano website also but when u click country then hit Japan.....Shimano actually made a error and the actual retrieve ratio is different on their site.....I just bought the 5000k model from Japan but I really want the 6000 for more line capacity

With a little research of the parts diagrams for the 5000 and 6000 size reels, you may find that the only mechanical difference is the spool itself. I have the Spheros 6000FB and use the 5000FB spool. In my case, both FB models have the same parts except for the spool. The smaller spool diameter was a better match for the rod I use. I had more wind knot with the larger 6000 spool. :(

Thxs Paul NJ,

I can't find the spool cheap ($59.00) but I can get the 6000 for $115-$120 shipped brand new in the box straight to my door......this is a deal so that's why I decided to get another reel, the only sad part is I'm like a hoarder, I have over 35 rods and reels but maybe have only used 10 of them, lol