August fishing

Rate this topic

Sean M21

I will be down the last week of August as well staying in Avon.  I haven't figured out the fishing in the Outer Banks at all. I have had some luck fishing the ocean from a kayak for small blues and Spanish mackerel. I do want to explore the sound some more from the kayak, maybe closer to the inlet in Hattaras. 

Talking about the inlet between Hatteras and Ocracoke? Be careful. Lots of traffic.

A few weeks back I booked an inshore charter and we caught several flounder near the inlet. Last Fall we caught some puppies in that same area. We were in maybe 2' of water and lots of grass.

Is the boat traffic mostly in the channel or are they everywhere?  Looks real shallow that as long as I stay out of the channel I could avoid the traffic, but that is just me looking at google earth and dreaming fishing in the flats.  I don't have any experience close to the inlet other than a charter a few years back in the inlet for drum.

Obviously you have the ferries in the channel. The inshore boats get into the the 2' water. The one captain joked about getting out and walking to the next area he was thinking of us fishing. Add in the private boats.

People use kayaks to fish there, I guess as long as they see you and you see them, you should be ok.

You might want to try fishing off the Sand Island. We were catching spots off that Island in July. With light tackle, they are fun.

Got the time and space for both?

I don't fly fish but last year Ryan at Hatteras Jack gave some guy wanting to fly fish some suggestions on where to fly fish in the Salvo area. That was second week of July, last year.

I normally don't fish the Pamlico unless I am on a charter. There are some spots but I haven't found them. Friends own a place in Hatteras Village, short walk to the beach, ocean side, so when I go there, that is where I fish.

• 5 months later...