Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beret

Hook Placement on Rod

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

When done fishing or walking the beach...........where do your guys anchor you lure,plug whatever. I generally use the support arms holding the eye closest to the reel,,,,,,I know some make an eye using zip ties down by the reel. What do you you folks do to secure your presentation to the rod..............thanks.

Thanks guys....keep them coming. I see guys with the reel handle attachment but keep thinking this put the hooks so close to my hands if grabbing the rod quickley. I like the electrical tie option......but keep thinking this puts the hook too close to the blank and may cause scratching of the blank. Appreciate more opinions and/or options.....thanks.

Zbass has a keeper on the reel stem. Looks like a neat idea. I did the reel handle/knob idea once, stuck a treble into my waders and thigh walking onto the beach. Foot of the gathering guide on short walks is the best bet.

Same as you. Never in the guide itself but in the support arm. Or most of my rods have a hook keeper that I put it in.

Seen these used,

Yup and yup. The wrapped on keepers that I've had on rods I bought all got removed because they had line get hung up on them or the blank got scratched. The zip tie with the eye in it does work if it's placed correctly... but the arm of the 1st guide does to. Hooking it on the reel handle has almost caused me problems when I was walking the beach... to close to my hand or pant leg... or when I had the rod on my shoulder... my head.

For everyone having trouble with the hook on the reel/handle, try holding the rod in your off hand so the handle points away from your body!  

For everyone having trouble with the hook on the reel/handle, try holding the rod in your off hand so the handle points away from your body!  

That works on the rocks and short distances (actually like carrying my rod that way so the tip doesn't dip and hit the ground)... however when I'm walking down the beach to see Taylor Swift, on my shoulder is more comfortable.

Agreed, I go over the shoulder most of the time too.  Still use the same concept of having the handle point away from my face though!  

I steal my daughters hair elastics, loop them over my reel handle and hook them through that. This prevents the hooks from scratching my handles. When I'm fishing I put the elastics around my wrist. I have also used o-rings with small split rings on them placed like the zip ties in JB's post.