Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fadetoblack188

creek/river trout rod

22 posts in this topic

Heading upstate in a couple weeks. looking to pick up a trout combo to give it a shot.  I have been salt water fishing my whole life.  Not much freshwater. 


What kind of rod should i be looking at.  I would prefer a spinner over a fly rod right now as i am just getting into it. 


 


I noticed the ultra lights seem popular.  5'6 with 4/5 lbs test line.  Correct?


Looking into the pflueger trion ultra light combo.


Thanks for the help. 


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pflueger Trion is a great combo. That was my go to combo till I started building my own rods. Still use the reel. Actually all my fresh water spinning gear is pflueger. You definitely can't go wrong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I started fly fishing I used a ultra lite spinner with 4lb test. Used Mepps Aglia spinners. Have not picked up the spinning rod in many years, once you start catching trout on a fly you will never go back. Took me a while to get the hang of it. Really frustrating not being able to catch anything when you start. Definitely worth the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A ultra light st croix 5.6 2 piece rod is nice for trout AVS56ULF2

 

I'm not at home now so I can't check the model of my St Croix ultra lite rod, but I do mostly like the one I have. My only issue is the fast action of the small rod makes it a little difficult to be very precise in casting accurately in tight places with tiny lures. It does have plenty of back bone for the bigger fish that I occasionally pick up on it. Maybe it's just me, but I used to be a lot more accurate with an old Fenwick ultra-life rod that had a much more moderate action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes its the line that you have spooled up that effects its accuracy. I have nanofil 4 lb test spooled onto a pflueger and I can shoot a 1/32 jig into a soup can 20 feet away 75%  of the time. Well you know about where it goes the other 25%....lol


The oldier fenwicks were nice poles so was the G Lomis  


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood why everyone sticks with these short trout rods while spin fishing. Not saying anything is wrong with it, but if you went bigger, I think you'd have more options per the river conditions. I fly and spin fish for trout. In the winter I do more spin fishing for them and I use a 8'6 with 4lb mono and rated 1-32 - 1-8z. I can get behind every boulder, rip, cut and wing it in those deep undercut banks. I have much more control on my drifts if I'm using a nymph of sorts and can feel every tick on the bottom with the longer rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use both an 8ft and a 5'6. Most streams I have around me are no more than 6 or 7 ft wide. so I need the short ones. But when I fish the lakes that are stocked I go with my 8ft or sometimes even my 10ft steelie rod if im throwing bubbles with a fly on it.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on how and where you want to fish.

 

I use a 7' light to ultra light rod for small and medium sized streams and a medium light 7'6" rod for medium to large rivers. The rod design depends on your fishing techniques. Most folks want a softer/medium action for ultra light bait and jig fishing and a faster action for lures. If you are a newbie and plan to fish smaller streams I would lean towards the light to ultra light depending on your preference. Big rivers where longer casts and bigger fish and other species like smallmouth bass are a possibility you may want to go a little longer and heavier.

My compromise rod would be a 7'2' light fast action rod for trout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go UL and buy some 2 or 3 lb floro for3' leaders (use tiny swivel to main (8 lb braid). A short rod in tight contitions allows you to flip spinners into pockets with precision. Most of the fish will be under 2lbs and overhead branches will break your line before the stockers do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.