yosco

Snakehead action?

15 posts in this topic

Are there any still in there? I heard fish and game electroshocked the lake and cleaned most of the snakehead out last year.

Seems like a fine sport fish to me and supposedly tasty.  I wish DNR would just accept the fact that they're here to stay.

I wish we had the giant snakeheads here I the Allegheny. Even the Northern Snakeheads would be awesome as a sport fish.

The snakehead is an extremely invasive species and needs to removed. Yes they are good fighting, but are very dangerous for our local ecosystems. I have personally witnessed a wading fisherman get attacked by one.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy fishing for them myself but I also enjoy fishing for the other species that the snakehead hurt reproduction for. I am going to be heading a study in the following months about the extent of the damage of snakehead in commonwealth waters.

The rivers are already full of "invasive species". They find their place.

Very true. 

Actually, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't SMB, LMB, walleye, and musky introduced species in the Delaware watershed?

Honestly, I think if I were to pick an exciting game fish to introduce, snake heads over LMB any day. Aggressive/ toothy critters are a plus.

Anyone know or pin down snakeheads habits? Falls chilling up and I feel like snakehead would start to be more aggressive... correct me 

On 4/3/2015 at 10:30 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

Very true. 

Actually, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't SMB, LMB, walleye, and musky introduced species in the Delaware watershed?  You are pretty much correct.  Lots of fish were introduced from the Ohio drainage to the East Coast during the 1800s via trains and canals, way before anyone recorded what the native species were present in the first place.

Honestly, I think if I were to pick an exciting game fish to introduce, snake heads over LMB any day. Aggressive/ toothy critters are a plus.  I've always said that snakeheads can do everything a LMBass can do, except they do it better.

1 person likes this