Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishmania1

Best steel leader? Which 1 kinks the least?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I use to purchase Berkley 60lb steel leader and sleeves but that dam line kinks more then a slingy.

I was going to purchase American Fishing Wire (AFW) 1 x 7 stainless steel surflon coated line.  I have seen people use it and seems a little softer to the feel and kinks much less and appears even less visible with a good price tag, too.

But, what good steel lines have good kink resistance and are good for making leaders and hooks? Any suggestions?

AFW produces quality items, not only wire but split rings and clips as well. Solid wire kinks more easily where braided wire does not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XBMX View Post

AFW produces quality items, not only wire but split rings and clips as well. Solid wire kinks more easily where braided wire does not.

So, would you also recommend the 1 x 7 stainless steel surflon coated line? Or some other steel line?

Maybe I will order some split rings from them, too.

what is the target species? IF boofish....100lb mono will do just about as good as coated multistrand wire. Plus you don't have to worry about frayed wire stabbing the ish out of you.

Solid wire is 100x better for bite resistance/ sharp teeth...it'll kink but worst case you can make new leaders very easily...just make another leader in seconds by doing a haywire twist free hand....

for shark with serrated teeth....solid wire is the only way.

I avoid multistrand wire that will contact teeth at all costs.....i hate wire splinters more than pretty much anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post

what is the target species? IF boofish....100lb mono will do just about as good as coated multistrand wire. Plus you don't have to worry about frayed wire stabbing the ish out of you.

Solid wire is 100x better for bite resistance/ sharp teeth...it'll kink but worst case you can make new leaders very easily...just make another leader in seconds by doing a haywire twist free hand....

for shark with serrated teeth....solid wire is the only way.

I avoid multistrand wire that will contact teeth at all costs.....i hate wire splinters more than pretty much anything.

You just blew my mind away. You obviously know a lot about steal leaders and me not enough.

The only brands I do know are the ones that are actively advertised on popular websites and I have no idea what they are made from =/.. I guess I have more to learn here about this.  Bluefish would be the occasional sharp tooth predator around here unless I do hook into a descent shark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpalms View Post

I've tried them all and this stuff is the best and easiest to work with...

https://www.tygerleader.com/

Very interesting

I've used that tie-able Tyger leader. It works pretty well. Terminator used to make Titanium leaders which were supposedly very flexible like their spinnerbaits. I never tried them though. They were very expensive.

I've tried them all and this stuff is the best and easiest to work with...

https://www.tygerleader.com/

I've used that and the cortland tooth proof......I've had bluefish get right through it....:mad: Pricey stuff for boofish

80 - 100lb suffix superior is great for the toothy bastages and it's cheap and strong. Same with the blue Ande leader spools

You're better off making your own if you're shark fishing. You have to have something very strong. Sharks will bite through just about everything.

Alex

Do any of these wire leaders cast well and if so which ones?  trying to catch some shark on plugs

I used to use steel leaders a lot when I first started. Now I never do. Most of the time bluefish are running near stripers and I'm after the stripers. Using a steel leader will seriously reduce strikes from striped bass. If I get hit by bluefish and cut off I'll usually just move. I do carry a few in the truck just in case I come across a bunch of blues and want to play. I never paid too much attention to brand... vinyl coated braided stainless steel in various lengths. If anything got damaged I just chucked it.