xahoidenbbb

Daiwa sp minnows

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I was in the same position about a week ago. After getting some suggestions online it seemed like the general consensus was lazer shiner, bone, and black over purple. So I picked up one of each in floating to get started and will add different colors and sinking models as needed.

Good luck!

you won't need anything else.

Not sure if it's widely available but they make a yellow with a black back too. Wish it was all yellow but the black is only a thin strip on the very top. Yellow has always been a good color for me.

The original SP design cast great. The newer models don't seem to cast anything like the original. The 1 1/4 oz version don't cast very well for me. I have heard that the bullet's don't cast well. The Bullets don't have the weight transfer system. I guess if you only need to cast 30 yds the newer models would catch fish. The larger Bullet comes stock with 2/0 hooks. The originals and all other models come with smaller hooks that most guys say you need to change to at least 2/0. My favorite colors are Laser Green, and Black/Purple. Has anyone successfully used 3/0 or larger Hooks on the original SP? Whats the scoop on new color Translucent Lime Green? 

The original SP design cast great. The newer models don't seem to cast anything like the original.

They are identical, in all respects save one, the hooks are now a bit heavier than the original.  Other than that they are the exact same mold.  Wait till you guys see the new SP Mini.  11cms with weight transfer.  If you like red fins you will love them.

They are identical, in all respects save one, the hooks are now a bit heavier than the original. Other than that they are the exact same mold. Wait till you guys see the new SP Mini. 11cms with weight transfer. If you like red fins you will love them.

ICast special?

Edited by xjclint

I threw both the original and the 1 1/4 the other night just prior to dark and the 1 1/4 stock would only go 30 to maybe 40 yds. The 1 1/9 original w/ a 2/0 treble tail and stock belly hook on the same rod would throw 60 to 70 yds. The stock hooks on both look the same to me. I had hoped that the heaver model would cast a little better. I'm going to try different rods with the sinker (heavy)to see if that makes any difference. The SP Mini's sound like a winner. What is the weight on them? 

On 7/12/2015 at 1:29 PM, Shipwreck said:

They are identical, in all respects save one, the hooks are now a bit heavier than the original.  Other than that they are the exact same mold.  Wait till you guys see the new SP Mini.  11cms with weight transfer.  If you like red fins you will love them.

On 11/12/2016 at 4:53 PM, cow tamer said:

What's the consensus, a year and a half later, floating or sinking?

Bump

I have not tried nor even seen an SP mini.  Whats the mass?  7/8oz?

Looking to add one or two on sale, before I buy is there a consensus on which size is preferred/goto, or is it typical opinion/match?

37 mins ago, 55555s said:

HUh.

you should have

floating

suspending

sinking

slow rising

slow sinking.

you can modify them by changing ,hooks,rings and ad weight,do that in sink or bucket,make sure they stay horizontal,natural position.

suspending,you crank her down 2',4' and stop the curent move the lure,that crate the strike some time,the fish will tell you how they wonet that lure on slow retreve,fast retreve or stop.when you hit fish just remember what you exacly did and duplicate that some time only this will produce fish.

3 floating sp’s regular size.  started using them after I lost my crystal minnow. Awhile back difference in price is what made me try them.  didn’t know they came in a sinking Optiofound out a couple of months ago. Lol  i barely move it is how I fish it similar to LMB fishing the slower the better. Occasional twitch also helps when they are being finicky. 

so I own 3 in the following colors 

bunker Had to replace the hooks and switch out the split rings. Twice now use single inline.  Definitely has the mojo gonna retire it this year. Maybe 1-2 more trips. 

bone No fish 

xhicken scratch no fish 

I'd stick to the floating 15F. Even with a slow retrieve a find they hit the bottom easily in shallow water--which I'm not a fan of. They cast incredibly great tho.