Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ralphrox

Miami Area Pier Fishing

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'll be staying in Aventura/Miami area early this April and I plan on doing some pier fishing. Is anyone willing to share info on which piers to fish, what type of bait/tackle to use, which species are around, and any other helpful info?

Thanks from snow covered below freezing NY!!!

The piers or shore fishing areas I know of from north to south:

Sunny isles $5 a day plus parking.

South Miami beach pier lots of boat traffic free. Fishing governors cut.

Where the river meets the bay brickell. River and bay fishing

Virginia key fishing bridge.

Virginia key shore fishing.

Fishing isn't allowed on any other beaches.

I have been mostly using squid. Shrimp works better but it can be a challenge keeping them alive in this heat, sorry to rub it in.

I am using 30lb braid and a basic fishermans rig. I never had much luck with lures down here. I am originally from Chicago so I am still learning.

I have had my best luck on boats. You may want to reserve a spot on a party boat. They usually only cost $50 for the day and you get the knowledge of the south Florida lifers.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Miami area is just absolutely nerve racking to fish, so crowded, so expensive, tons of rules, no fishing on the beach day or night, which is crazy. If I am thinking it right, I heard if you step your foot in the wet sand by the shore they cannot kick you off the beach. Still, that would be like a Mexican Standoff with those cops down there, or those so called condo security brutes. Maybe go to the nude beach there by south beach and cast out...haha. just a joke.

Anyhow, just a bit north in Dania is a park called John Lloyd State Park, which is the big inlet into Port Everglades. Some 90 feet deep with good fishing. I've caught a lot of nice fish in that inlet, big suckers. If you don't want to roll around so much, there's another inlet in close to you in Miami called Haulover Inlet State Park. Never fished it though.

On the beach if you can find one where they (whoever "they" are) allow you to fish, I'd stay with the spoons, big spoons, which have always landed me the most fish on any beach down here, all kinds of fish from blue fish to sharks, from tarpon to snook. No need to fancy it out with all kinds of experimentation and presentations or colors, keep it simple with the good 'ol cheap chrome spoons....just a suggestion. Good luck.

I wasn't aware you could still fish the pier off Government Cut in South Brach. Last time I actually fished it was 30 years ago. Tried going last year and only parking was $20 and no signs of how you even get to it. Too bad the original 1st street pier got knocked down. That pier was amazing.

You might also want to bring a med/light gear and fish the freshwater ponds/lakes/canals (check google maps and look around for areas close to you)...

another thing I want to talk about is "Safety" while you are down here..... I hate to say it but out crime rate down is pretty bad.... so don't go fishing by Yourself

late at nite... and always be aware of your surrounding.... there are plenty of bridges to hit...but again they are a lot better at nite......

I will go ask some guys on another forum and if I get any infor about that area I will get back to you.....;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drako View Post

You might also want to bring a med/light gear and fish the freshwater ponds/lakes/canals (check google maps and look around for areas close to you)...

another thing I want to talk about is "Safety" while you are down here..... I hate to say it but out crime rate down is pretty bad.... so don't go fishing by Yourself

late at nite... and always be aware of your surrounding.... there are plenty of bridges to hit...but again they are a lot better at nite......

I will go ask some guys on another forum and if I get any infor about that area I will get back to you.....wink.gif

Good point Drako. Most here ask about saltwater fishing when coming down here for vacation or something but just west of crowded crime ridden Dade county -- wide wide open. Tamiami trial has a lot of access roads that go along canals which are just loaded with largemouth bass. Plus it is absolutely beautiful out there, especially near the Big Cypress Preserve. Even though there is no crime to worry about, there are "Safety" precautions. Alligators, you see, those canals not only have a lot of big bass, some of them way out are just loaded with alligators. But they don't really bother you, kinda hang out and line up, floating there in the water like logs watching you catch a bunch fish. Makes the nerves stronger and adds to the appeal :eek: 

Too bad that Hurricane Andrew destroyed Haulover Pier in 1992 . .

Yeah, that use to be a nice old school pier. Hurricanes make short work of a lot piers down here. Shortly after Andrew, Frances and Jean took out the jetty in John Lloyd Park, which was closed for eight years, just re-opened.that.

On 4/8/2015 at 10:53 PM, ez2cdave said:

Too bad that Hurricane Andrew destroyed Haulover Pier in 1992 . . .

Since Photobucket decided to get GREEDY, here is the image for Haulover Pier again . . .

Tight Lines !

HAULOVER PIER - Ad.jpg