How low can you go?

Rate this topic

LI BeachRat

a Democrat, is a disabled US Army veteran of the Vietnam War, a recipient of the Silver Star and the Bronze Star for valorous actions in combat, and a former U.S. Senator. He was also Administrator of Veterans Affairs (now a Cabinet-level position). From 2003 to 2007 he served on the Board of Directors of the Export-Import Bank of the United States, a presidentially-appointed position.[1][2] He has served as Secretary of the American Battle Monuments Commission since May, 2009.

Since he left office in 2003, no other Democrat from Georgia has served a full term in the United States Senate.

In 2002 Cleland faced Saxby Chambliss for the Georgia Senate seat. Cleland enjoyed a comfortable lead in the polls early in the race but lost much ground in the weeks running up to it. In May 2002 Chambliss was trailing Cleland by 22 percentage points. Chambliss issued a press release decrying Senator Cleland for "breaking his oath to protect and defend the Constitution," because Cleland had voted for an amendment to the Chemical Weapons Treaty that would allow individuals from "terrorist nations" to be on United Nations weapons inspection teams in Iraq. The vote passed by a majority, 56-44. Fifty-five other senators also voted for the amendment, including Bill Frist, the head of the Republican senate committee, who picked Chambliss to run against Cleland.[14]

A week before the voting an Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll showed Cleland ahead by five points, 49-44. By Saturday before the race a poll by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution the lead had shrunk to 48–45 which was within the poll's margin of error.[15] On election day Cleland lost to Chambliss 53-46. Some supporters blamed a Chambliss TV ad featuring the likenesses of Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein while criticizing Cleland's votes against homeland security measures.[16] Cleland supporters claimed the ad questioned the senator's patriotism,[17] while Chambliss supporters claimed it simply questioned his judgment.[17][18] The ad was removed after protests from prominent politicians, including Republicans such as John McCain and Chuck Hagel, both of whom are also veterans of the war in Vietnam.[19][20]

where is the lie about his service ?

How he got wounded. Did you also find out just "how" he got wounded? BTW - I am ALL for his service. He served and served bravely. He just seriously screwed up one day and then tried to gloss over the details in his political campaigns. Had he been up front, I believe he would have been a shoo-in. You won't get me to criticize his service. The man gave more than his fair share.

Noted and appreciated. Nonetheless, Chambliss' criticism of him for being unwilling to serve and defend the Constitution is a longwinded version of saying he's not a patriot. I find that despicable, and not less so because Chambliss himself had gotten five student deferments. The advertisement, as described in the quoted material, is despicable.

I looked earlier for an account of how Cleland lost his limbs that wouldn't be dismissed as Lame Stream Media by most posters on this Forum. I don't subscribe at this time to the WSJ, so that was unavailable; I couldn't find anything else that wouldn't have been dismissed out of hand here. That said, Cleland had already been decorated before he got blown up, and mishandling explosives - a grenade dropped by someone else, in this case - is an occupational hazard of a soldier's life, as you'd know better then I. (I will listen respectfully if you disagree.)

The amendment on which Cleland voted, on the DHS, pertained to union representation of employees. Not to the establishment of DHS, which I'd remind you was initially opposed by President Bush (who was more disturbed by the horror of possible union representation of government employees than he was by the complete failure of free-enterprise security services on 9/11). You might disagree, and many do. It's not a basis to question his patriotism.

Going back to the very first post in the thread, the OP's complaint is that a specified veteran with major injuries was being persecuted by the Obama administration. I hadn't heard of him previously. Subsequent posts indicate he has a history of misconduct, unrelated to his grievous service injuries. I don't know about that either. I raised the subject of Max Cleland as a comment on hypocrisy, nothing more or less. If a Democrat loses three limbs on military service, why, that matters ... not so much. Not in the election, and not here on SOL either.