Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

Should the Guide Be Warned???

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

This coming Saturday I'll be heading down south at 1 in the morning to hop on a boat that leaves at 0500... out chasing albies... with the fly.

My friend Lee set this whole thing up and it's a 6 person charter. The five people he got to go are all gurls and I am the only one of them who has ever caught fork tailed fishies on the flyrod.. or by any means. I'm pretty sure that of all of the other gals going, not one of them has so much as really thrown lead core.

Now Lee and I have a little side bet going on which one of the gals is going to break the first knuckle, which one will get seasick first, and a few others... The biggest bet we've got is whether the guide is going to crap a brick or not when he realizes he's got all gals and mostly inexperience going out on the boat. I say he should be warned... Lee says it'll be more fun if he isn't. I say it will be more fun in the end for ALL of us if he knows ahead of time and can prepare for it, both mentally and physically (ie, where to go, what gear to have available, what he's going to have to do to help, etc)

What say you folks? Should he be warned? He's thinking he's gonna have Lee's usual group going down there, all of whom are a) men, b) experienced and c) not the seasick types.

I know that every time I've gone with a guide the first question they ask when they book you is how much do you REALLY know about what we'll be doing.

Anyways... looking forward to it either way. If the albies aren't biting, it may be a salmon trip and if the salmon aren't biting then it may be a halibut trip and if there are WSB in shallow enough water, well I wouldn't mind going after some of those, either.

He should get a heads up.If it was one or two Gurls,its a joke. Six Thats a different story.Even when you get six people of any experince its still a hard day for the Capt & mates.I would say a BIG TIP would be nice.

Seeeeee, now I agree. The poor thing should be warned. Lee set the trip up. He did say that he was going to email me the link to the guide's website and all tonight, though. I think I'll go behind his back and warn the guy. Maybe he's still got time to pick up a supersized bottle of Prozac or Valium or something.

Lee and I truly did argue over this today.

I knew you guys would see it MY way! kiss.gif

If you think that him having prior knowledge of the group that he is taking out will make it more enjoyable for all involved...I would tell him.I hope the boat is not a center console without a head eek.gif

Doug M

if it is a cc w/o head, i guess i'll be in charge of teaching the gals how to either hang it over the side or pray for a spare bucket!

i have no shame.

pray for a spare bucket!

i have no shame.

We have used the, so to speak. "no shame/turn your head perv, rule" for as many years as I can remember co-ed fishing. Who doesn't have a 5 gal bucket on board, don't think I'd melt, and bait loves it biggrin.gif

On the other, warn the Cap, but let 'em have fun in a Barbie kind of way, if they're for the "unexpected", I've done it on many a new trip, and had the time of my life cool.gif

What am I missing here? Someone charters a boat and guide to fish. What's the difference how many of what (gurls or boys) shows up. You do your job. Ask the questions you normally would and go about your job. That's what your in business to do right?

IMO... rolleyes.gif ...definately tell the guide in advance! He will be able to do a better job and plan properly if he knows what is in store. It will only increase your chances of having a safe, fun, successful trip.

Anytime that I have hired a guide I have let them know up front what I was interested in. That way they can be more prepared for the day. Also gives them a chance to let me know what I'll need, or if I am picking a good time to go. So yeah, let the guide know. If they are expecting a group that knows what they are doing, they'll probably have a different game plan than if they are going with newbies.

Jigman