Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Computer help

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am getting a popup **link removed - that's a site looking to infect your computer** TimS stating it is a microsoft security bulletin. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so what should I do with it?

Spigola

[ 02-10-2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: TimS ]

You should get a good antivirus package that auto-updates itself - and a firewall. I'm pretty sure that "Microsoft Security bulletin" is a virus..or in your case, a pop-up hack of an unprotected port on your computer.

Go to www.microsoft.com - better yet, here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/an...icate_mail.asp

But you'll still need the right software to protect your computer now that you are using a cable connection - I recommend and use "Norton's Internet Security" - except don't buy it from Symantec (they make it) go a search on Google and buy it online...generally about 1/2 the price of purchasing directly from Symantec.

TimS

Thanks Tim,

That thing keeps popping up every now an then and I took a look at the site and they want my credit card number. Yea right, I'll give them my card number. tongue.gif

Spigola

Spig, if you don't protect your computer with a firewall and AV software, they won't have to ask you for your credit card number, they'll be able to access anything and everything on your computer. Not only that, they'll use your computer to attack other computers. It's what these dirtbags do.

Protecting your computer protects you and all of us HappyWave.gif

TimS

Tim,

I went into the microsoft security antivirus site you recommended and loaded some software from them, without credit card being required. Took about 15 minutes. Must be alot of stuff necessary to keep the slime out of our machines.

Thanks bud.

Spigola