Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpoliti

Anyone replacing trebles with inline hooks

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I've been replacing treble hooks with single hooks for years now. I've never even heard of in-line hooks, (being such an old foggie dinosaur and all :o), although I've re-placed some of my trebles with circle hooks.

Virtually all of my Acme Kastmasters and Fiords, for both salt & sweet water, now sport single hooks, (some with a Bucktail), for easier C&R, fish health, and much less bottom snagging. I view this as a win-win-win situation.

The only downside is that said replacement can sometimes alter, unfavorably, the casting and/or retrieving qualities on some lures. But, all in all, I consider that a small price to pay for the benefits.

The hook holds the fish and proper technique. Not the barb. Lots have gone barbless and haven't looked back. One of those things you need to try. Sounds like it won't work but it does.

I know how to remove hooks. Don't need chickens.

The reason it's easier to release is because your not fighting the barb on the way out. Most times. Sometimes the hole gets so big they come out with ease. Reason fish might be falling off at the wash.

I don't care how many fish I catch. I fish for one. The trophy that I plan to release. Single barbless hooks accomplish that. Not a style for all. If I lose that fish, I'll sleep fine that night. If I belly it up - not so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post

If the barb doesn't hold fish, why is it so much easier to release a barbless hooked fish?

I think a barb helps hold a fish.  Sometimes it may even be what keeps a fish from inhaling a lure. I think treble hooks on hard baits also help prevent them  from being inhaled. Paddletails with single hooks are what I most often see inhaled. Maybe just because of the soft body but but the trebles do seem to offer that benefit. 

Barbless trebles really only come into play  as a real benefit when a fish has stitched its mouth shut with two or three points, which does not happen often but is certainly not a rare occurrence. That has been my experience at least. 

Because I'm all about the Bass, bout the Bass, no trebles. I will stick to my two out of three barbs crushed on my trebles. I belive in being prepared for the fish of a lifetime. Could be with a Giant Pike or a SP Minnow but for sure I would not relay on an inline hook. Simply can't have a heavy enough gauge on smaller plugs. I bet the Cows will like them.