Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicky

breathables vs neoprene?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

what are the pros and cons of each and for which type of fishing would i wear one over the other?

i currently only have neo 3mm but was gonna pick up a pair of orvis breatheables that were on sale.

i did a site search but didnt come up with much.

thanks

First weight, The beathables weigh nothing compared to neo's. Neo's make me sweat way to much. To a point it seems it would of been better to not wear them. Neo's are best for cold weather or where your legs are submerged. The pair of breathables I have were great for long hikes and movement but lasted 3 months before I got that wet feeling in them. I climb rocks and probably punctured them. I am going to buy another pair as they fit my climate and type of fishing better. as long as your careful they will last you a much longer time than my first pair.

There's just no comparison. Buy a decent pair of breathables, and you'll wonder why you ever bothered with neoprenes. They're light weight, comfortable, and you can wear them all season, warm or cold. Just be sure to buy a boot size which will allow you to wear two pairs of wool or wool blend socks for warmth and or sweat absorption. The inner pair wicks the sweat to the outer pair and your foot stays dry. I wear one thin pair of wicking tights in the summer to avoid clamminess, and as it gets colder both weather wise and water temperature wise, I add another pair, or eventually switch to fleece. There's no reason why you can't wear them from April to December.

Winchmaster, you need to determine if you've got pinholes or the fabric has lost its water repellency. Even a good pair of Gore Tex waders will lose some repellency and can start feeling clammy. There are products out that will restore the repellent quality to the waders.

I have and use both, only reach for the neoprenes when the water temp is cold, ie early spring or late fall. The breathables are so much lighter- there is no reason not to use them other than as described above.

people have said this in other ways, but for me the main difference is the way I feel at the end of a long session of fishing... the weight difference and flexibility difference seriously allows me to only be half as tired at the end of the same day of fishing..

There are products out that will restore the repellent quality to the waders.

What products will restore the "water repellency" of breathable waders? Where are these products available?

Thanks in advance for this information!!!

Marc

I think that the main difference is comfort. The breathable afford unbelievable comfort especially when walking long distances. I have fished in my breathables for 8 hours in 33 degree water while steelhead fishing. I was NOT cold. Its all how you dress underneath. So, in general, yes neoprene is warmer than breathables, but when worn properly, breathables can be very warm, and MUCH MORE comfy..

BC

I have both as well, this was my first season with the breathable jobs and I just love the comfort, weight, and the fact that you can wear them all day and bsically no even feel like your wearing waders... they feel more like windpants that breath... what I don't like about them is you have to be careful sitting on rocks or other rough textured things .. already had to patch mine twice and they are new (first season) don't sit on rocks that are rough and turn your arse on it while sitting.. sit carefully and your fine..

can't for the life of me understand why the manufacturer puts in kevlar knee pads and no kevlar in the ass... like no one sits on rock when they are at the fishing hole?.. for $400+ they could have thought of that.. both of my patches are on the ass.. and I don't sit very often.. if they make them with a kevlar ass and knees.. that's what I would get if I had to buy them again.. icon14.gif

except for the fact you need to be careful with them.. they are the best waders I've ever worn.. once I got used to having them, my biggest fear was one day just walking into the water without them on.. cuz you can't really tell your wearing waders when you do have them on... eek.gif

Well said BC, once I put on my first pair of breathables I could never see myself in the neos again. Dry= comfort and warmth. Polypro tights and fleece pants under the breathables go a long way. Don't forget a couple of pair of good socks.

mml4,

There are two products that I'm familiar with that will restore water repellency to breathable waders. First is Gore's Revivex. It's available on the web and at retail. Gore, of course recommends it for Gore Tex waders. The thing I don't care for about Revivex is that you're supposed to set it into the fabric with heat. That means either put it in the dryer, which is not practical with boot foot models, or otherwise iron it in (no thanks). The other company is Nik Wax. I have found their products at Eastern Mountain Sports, and I know that REI and Campmoor carry them, at least on the web. They make Tech Wash, which is a non detergent cleaner, which is excellent (no suds to rinse and rinse and rinse). Their TX Direct Spray-On is a repellency agent which doesn't require heat. I like it because any time I feel I need a touch up, after I hose down my waders, I just give them a quick spraying and let them dry. The Nik Wax stuff is also less expensive than Revivex.

Bought the Orvis breathables 4yrs ago and haven't worn the neoprenes since... perfectly acceptable year round, just layer accordingly. Comfy and dry!

biggrin.gif