SINY

Does Lure Color ACTUALLY Matter?

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

Color does matter sometimes, but not very often. My favorite plugs generally have a quirk or exception on them- faded wonderbread, scarred chrome, the red chicken foot, etc.

Some of my colors. I learned about this after I retrieved a plug I had lost the year before, put new hooks on it and caught just as well. It was a great plug to throw when everyone else was using standard colors.

I used to scrape all my Bombers to see if I had any non-insert ones, then scrape them carefully to get them as clear as possible. The chromed ones worked the best. If I scarred them up too much, I would just sand them. The middle one is loaded, with shards of aluminum foil stuffed in the hole.

The old saying "it don't matter what color you use as long as it is white" comes to mind. I think I remember that from spinner bait LM bass fishing. Often cases for me a white lure will get the job done. Then there is pink you have to have it and black is another. Black and gold is a combination that seems to work well for me and is what I throw most like on a bunker storm shad. There is one guy I have seen smash large stripers with a horrendous green brown mud colored lure so I guess you don't know until you try but it makes a difference.

One thing to keep in mind as this article tells you "color doesn't matter," is the depths at which it doesn't matter.

They mention 300 feet, 30 feet, etc. Even looking at their chart, lure colors are essentially preserved down to 20'. How many surfcasters are going deeper than 10'? Even freshwater fishing I rarely get deeper than 10-15'.

Note to self…leave yellow darter at home when you think you'll be in 70' of water.

One thing to note is canal guys regular fish really deep water. Lots of them swear by wine and black slugos. Basically the color that shows the least mixed with the color that shows the best.

very interesting. :read:

To answer this question, I think it would depend on what type of fishing we are doing.

Example: I river fish mostly while wading in a river here in Ontario where the depths are between 1' to 12' tops. The baits are either roe bags with different scarf colors , beads of different colors, flys of same, spoons & spinners of same (same meaning of different colors). Now in this instance color does matter while fishing within these depths; because the hit ratio differs from one color compared to another.

There are days that chartreuse baits are hot on a sunny day and even hot on a cloudy day while other different colored baits are not. So I'm thinking that color matters only through trial and error as we do not know what color actually produce strikes compared to others. We can assume but this information can never be said to be factual evidence as we can not ask a fish.

But I do not think there's factual evidence as to knowing what the fish actually see. I think it's presumed on the bases of whats seen by us/humans, researchers as a colored lure for example is dropped and allowed to sink deeper and deeper and then gauged to what color is still visible on varying weather conditions. Hopefully I'm describing what I mean.

We don't know what color has an increased fish strike rate compared to others at a given depth. Meaning we don't know what the fish actually sees; isn't this evidence based on what researchers have concluded  to be seen as the depth varies?

Anyway can't believe I am actually putting in all this time and energy towards a topic like this (not to say I am not interested, because I am) but am hoping I got my thoughts across.

This is wrong. We are learning what colors fish can see better than others. We know they use rods and cones like humans.

Ah, the age-old question and a great conversation during the off-season..

Let me share a little experience I had a couple years ago.. It was Fall and a offshore system set up off the coast of NJ and far enough out to just create dry Nor'easter conditions with a stiff wind in your face. I found a cut in the sand bar and it didn't take long to find the fish stacked up on the left hand side as they were just sitting and waiting for what the wave action pushed right into their strike zone..

A Yo-Zuri Mag Darter was the ticket and I started the night out with a brand new one out of the package - a BLACK or GHOST color Pattern.. Crushed a bunch of Bass on it and if you are familiar with these older style lures you know especially the black one that the paint really didn't last long and this night was no exception after maybe 20 or so fish on it . At some point while unhooking a bass I noticed the paint was completely gone and the plug was crystal clear now but I continue to fish it until the bite was over.. I must of landed another 20 maybe 30 on that lure before I lost the tide..

Take a look at the actual lure today after that night and the color it started out at. On this night it sure didn't seem like color mattered going from black-to-clear in one outing and the fish didn't care , it was all about the profile and that plug being able to work itself into their reach in those conditions at being attractive enough to hit...

1855876 Yes Sir Steve, the key words here are 'stacked up fish', I believe, when there are many fish in that school, like you experience that nite,, the competing for a meal is much greater, and all those fish in that school compete greatly, that when I believe color doesn't matter, then there are times, when a solo fish is present, and color then matters - Butch N.

SteveG

The great thing about fishing is that everyone has a theory, but no one really knows what they are talking about.
WOW, nobody knows what their talking about???, the guys here are talking about prier past experiences, some REAL GOOD GUYS, are you sure about that comment ?

One thing to keep in mind as this article tells you "color doesn't matter," is the depths at which it doesn't matter.

They mention 300 feet, 30 feet, etc. Even looking at their chart, lure colors are essentially preserved down to 20'. How many surfcasters are going deeper than 10'? Even freshwater fishing I rarely get deeper than 10-15'.

Note to self…leave yellow darter at home when you think you'll be in 70' of water.

Where's white on this chart?!

I don't know what the fish thinks, but I thought violet/blue will disappear first because of their low wave length. Ultra violet has less penetration capability than visible light and even glass will block some amount of UV rays. Red on the other hand I thought has more penetration capability. Hence the use of infra red rays to expand blood vessels in some medical devices or in fog lights. Can someone give some more info on this?

Au contraire, red disappears first and blue / ultraviolet last. You have it backwards - no offense meant.