SINY

Does Lure Color ACTUALLY Matter?

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

There have been times where i've had my fill and then i might go against the grain. In the fall of 03 right before i was diagnosed with cancer i was on my way home. Ran into a few guys up on the bluffs, like bassblitz, crazy bill dickinson and a number of Montauk locals. Fish showed up and i went down for one last shot. Lots of people lots of fish. Great water for buck tailing. For whatever reason known only to myself I sometimes wake up wanting to catch fish on a particular plug. I threw on an atom 40 and i got quite a few dirty looks, Bill was one of them. One of the locals named greg looked at me and said "Shaky, what the **** are you doing throwing that plug? Everyone is throwing buck tails."Just smiled and said "I'm finessing them" Got my fish and put it away. If you ain't having fun, then what's the point? :shaky:

fun is always the point. I ve been a big believer in feeding the fish what they want..........bait, plugs, flys, whatever..........but you do need to change it up. My grand pop taught me that one when i was very young. We were slaughtering bass on poppers on LBI all decent fish maybe 28-34 inches. Pop tosses a bucktail out nails one over 40 inches on the bottom......next thing ya know everyone is switching to bucktaisl. Point of it is when you got them good one thing its always good to try other things occasionally, you never know whats out there.

That's a load of crap. I've seen plenty of experienced guys thrown them as well. Guys like Joe Bragan, Toad, Mike Milano to name a few. They all have plenty of big fish.

I said "often associated with newbee's"

I wasn't judging it. I was explaining it.

I rarely use paddle tales. If it is the only thing catching, I'm throwing what ever it takes.

From my experiences, I found that color does play a role in catch ratios.  When casting, it is difficult to find the perfect color because only one rod at a time is in use, so keeping it simple and using staple colors (black, yellow, white, pink, chartreuse,...) often has benefits.  When trolling, trends are more easily seen.  But this can change hourly or daily.  Trolling for bass, blue/silver bomber 30's were way more productive then the yellow/silver or the pink plugs.  Blue caught about 4:1 compared to the others and this was challenged by moving rods to different rod locations but keeping all of the plugs at the same depth.  Sometimes all the 30's catch and sometimes none catch.  Same with umbrella rig color, where green/pearl eels outproduce the yellow ones on days. Some days fluke target pink Gulp over the greens or whites.  Some days tuna slam the green machines while others they find the blue white hoos irresistible. When fish are picky they tend to favor one color over others.  But perhaps a more important factor in lure choice is matching the size of bait.  So YES, color matters.

Beret, I stick to very basic colors.  Don't get me wrong I fall victim to buying shiny, cool looking plugs just like anyone else! However, that is primarily for my benefit and I don't expect it to really affect my catch rate.  

If I was forced to only carry one color it would definitely be white though.  

Tlap21........I can not argue against all white.......except those days when Yellow is king...........I honestly have no idea,wish I did.....only the striper on the end of our hook knows for sure...........tight lines.

Would transparent / plexiglass / spoon catch fish ? Or if you can not see does not exist ? Lure colors are important to me ..and that means contrast to the background.

One thing to keep in mind as this article tells you "color doesn't matter," is the depths at which it doesn't matter.

They mention 300 feet, 30 feet, etc. Even looking at their chart, lure colors are essentially preserved down to 20'. How many surfcasters are going deeper than 10'? Even freshwater fishing I rarely get deeper than 10-15'.

Note to self…leave yellow darter at home when you think you'll be in 70' of water.

Ah, the age-old question and a great conversation during the off-season..

Let me share a little experience I had a couple years ago.. It was Fall and a offshore system set up off the coast of NJ and far enough out to just create dry Nor'easter conditions with a stiff wind in your face. I found a cut in the sand bar and it didn't take long to find the fish stacked up on the left hand side as they were just sitting and waiting for what the wave action pushed right into their strike zone..

A Yo-Zuri Mag Darter was the ticket and I started the night out with a brand new one out of the package - a BLACK or GHOST color Pattern.. Crushed a bunch of Bass on it and if you are familiar with these older style lures you know especially the black one that the paint really didn't last long and this night was no exception after maybe 20 or so fish on it . At some point while unhooking a bass I noticed the paint was completely gone and the plug was crystal clear now but I continue to fish it until the bite was over.. I must of landed another 20 maybe 30 on that lure before I lost the tide..

Take a look at the actual lure today after that night and the color it started out at. On this night it sure didn't seem like color mattered going from black-to-clear in one outing and the fish didn't care , it was all about the profile and that plug being able to work itself into their reach in those conditions at being attractive enough to hit...

SteveG

Over and over I've heard guys say, "I was wasn't catching anything on a silver what-ever and changed to a blue what-ever and crushed them". Was it the change to blue, or the fact that the fish moved in then or where there but just turned on? The real test if catching them on blue was to take it off and try the original or another color.