SINY

Does Lure Color ACTUALLY Matter?

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post

Anyone who says it doesn't matter has never used green durring a sandeel bite

well I think it matters at times, green penetrates the water at the depth people usually fish for stripers so it would make sense because the fish could see the color of the sandeels so they would go for something with the same profile and color

what is a tin and tube super star? and why is it a bad thing?

I don't think it's a bad think. Tin and Tube is a common beginner offering and often associated with newbee's. For my preference Green first then black for some reason.

Color may have less influence during a blitz or when fish are actively feeding, but during most common fishing conditions it matters.

In both salt and sweet water,Groupers or Pikes among others, actually change their appearance based on where they are. If color didn't matter they would have the same appearance always.

When I look at most bait fish, they have a clear belly and darker back, with glittering scales when alive that actually reflect the surrounding light.

Mullets can be darker or clearer depending on the light.

So I try to blend with surrounding light as much as possible ; reddish sunrise or sunset I will use some red, very sunny clear weather will use silver or yellow, total darkness will use dark purple near black or opposite contrast white, mixture of light/structure will use mackerel and spotted textures.

Best if not sure, is to have different choices in the bag and see which one gets strikes rather than an other.

No matter what the fish sees, and until they actually tell us about it, If a lure color is appealing to you and you are confident with it, then that's enough reason to use that color.

Imagine how dull our collection of lures would be if all the same color.;)

what is a tin and tube super star? and why is it a bad thing?

Pak is among a group of elite east coast surfcasters, who just seem to hate it when idiots, googans, newbs, city dwellers catch fish. For years surfcasters have been lobbying/crying to save the bunkers, yet when the bunkers show up on the beaches in NJ in the spring, the same surfcasters are whining about how bunker make everyone a bass fisherman/hero/superstar.

When the whitebait shows up in Montauk you hear the same b.s. about the hero blitz fishermen throwing buck tails and when the sand eels are the prevalent bait, you hear the same whining about the tin and tube fishermen.

I remember many years when the herring showed up and everyone was catching large. Used to live for those days when bait and fish were thick.

I thought the idea was to catch fish and if a certain lure or bait is getting the job done I don't give a **** what these elitists say. Haven't fished in a couple of years, but there are times after reading the b.s. on the forums I'd like to hang a 28 1/2 inch fish on the scale at the B&T and put up a sign offering autographs and pictures for a fee. Then i'd get to read about it on the boards the next week

Used to have fun fishing, surf and boat. Now it's all hardcore and serious. Have not had the desire to go out lately.

I don't think it's a bad think. Tin and Tube is a common beginner offering and often associated with newbee's. For my preference Green first then black for some reason.

That's a load of crap. I've seen plenty of experienced guys thrown them as well. Guys like Joe Bragan, Toad, Mike Milano to name a few. They all have plenty of big fish.

I hear ya shaky.....I just liek to catch fish. I do chuckle are the self appointed internet sharpies, we all knwo them. the ones who decry every dead fish pic, and claim to leave if a blitz pops up in front of them.

I hear ya shaky.....I just liek to catch fish. I do chuckle are the self appointed internet sharpies, we all knwo them. the ones who decry every dead fish pic, and claim to leave if a blitz pops up in front of them.

There have been times where i've had my fill and then i might go against the grain. In the fall of 03 right before i was diagnosed with cancer i was on my way home. Ran into a few guys up on the bluffs, like bassblitz, crazy bill dickinson and a number of Montauk locals. Fish showed up and i went down for one last shot. Lots of people lots of fish. Great water for buck tailing. For whatever reason known only to myself I sometimes wake up wanting to catch fish on a particular plug. I threw on an atom 40 and i got quite a few dirty looks, Bill was one of them. One of the locals named greg looked at me and said "Shaky, what the **** are you doing throwing that plug? Everyone is throwing buck tails."Just smiled and said "I'm finessing them" Got my fish and put it away. If you ain't having fun, then what's the point? :shaky:

To answer this question, I think it would depend on what type of fishing we are doing.

Example: I river fish mostly while wading in a river here in Ontario where the depths are between 1' to 12' tops. The baits are either roe bags with different scarf colors , beads of different colors, flys of same, spoons & spinners of same (same meaning of different colors). Now in this instance color does matter while fishing within these depths; because the hit ratio differs from one color compared to another.

There are days that chartreuse baits are hot on a sunny day and even hot on a cloudy day while other different colored baits are not. So I'm thinking that color matters only through trial and error as we do not know what color actually produce strikes compared to others. We can assume but this information can never be said to be factual evidence as we can not ask a fish.

But I do not think there's factual evidence as to knowing what the fish actually see. I think it's presumed on the bases of whats seen by us/humans, researchers as a colored lure for example is dropped and allowed to sink deeper and deeper and then gauged to what color is still visible on varying weather conditions. Hopefully I'm describing what I mean.

We don't know what color has an increased fish strike rate compared to others at a given depth. Meaning we don't know what the fish actually sees; isn't this evidence based on what researchers have concluded  to be seen as the depth varies?

Anyway can't believe I am actually putting in all this time and energy towards a topic like this (not to say I am not interested, because I am) but am hoping I got my thoughts across.