Does Lure Color ACTUALLY Matter?

Rate this topic

SINY

I don't know what the fish thinks, but I thought violet/blue will disappear first because of their low wave length. Ultra violet has less penetration capability than visible light and even glass will block some amount of UV rays. Red on the other hand I thought has more penetration capability. Hence the use of infra red rays to expand blood vessels in some medical devices or in fog lights. Can someone give some more info on this?

Many of us have experienced a time when color seemingly matters. A buddy slays the fish with a certain color but others are less successful. It's hard to tell what's truly at play here - is it the color or something about the presentation? I tend to think that it's not just the color.

My take, it matters to an extent - light VS dark VS contrasting patterns(dark back with lighter belly). White and yellow in white are basically the same. Black and blurple - ditto. I really only fish at night though so ymmv.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Best color is black. Offers contrast against any viewing angle and against any bottom or surface. Even at 1000 ft it still is discernible against what's down there, although, I prefer to drop glow there. White would be next and yellow/lime green/chartreuse when the water is dirty.

It's only in crystal clear water with slow presentations where being realistic might help but you can probably still get away with black or white.

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS

The way for you personally to settle this debate is the next time your into steady fish, with let's say a blue mackerel colored plug, remove the plug and put on the same style plug in yellow and see what happens. I suspect that when the fish are actively feeding, lure size, shape and action are what pulls their triggers. When the fish are very picky, color may add an incentive for them to strike but maybe not.