Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kent I

Masterlure Jointed Eel Swivels

24 posts in this topic

I just bought a beat-up Masterlure Jointed Eel (9", not counting lip, 3.7 oz with hooks, "Masterlure" stamped on belly in script) as a model to copy, and discovered that the hooks are not cut, but are attached directly to the swivels. Anybody know how that was done? I don't want to know enough to cut it apart, but it would be nice to dupe the original setup. Thanks in advance.

Kent you may want to look real close at the hook. Is it brazed ? Heating the eye of the hook that is split, is one way of opening up the eye and them closing it after it is placed on the swivel ;) I think you may see a break on the eye somewhere ?

The hooks are rusty, but there's no sign whatever that they were cut. You'd expect that rust would make cuts more obvious. What I did notice is that there are big gobs of solder between the formed pair of the hook and the third tine. Could be they put a double hook on then soldered in the third tine in. It's hard to see how it could have been done any other way unless the formed the swivel around the hook then installed both.

Any of you Masterlure owners out there notice this construction?

Kent that is what I was asking and that may be the answer to your question , especially if you are sure that when the rust is removed that you do not have a split under it.:D

You mentioned your Masterlure is stamped in "Script" which makes it very early in its production run. Made in the late 1940s. I looked at the early Masterlures in my collection and none have "cut" hooks they are all solid and it appears that the bottom part of the swivel was formed around the hook. And as was mentioned I have seen other early lures with this set up.

I noticed the construction of the swivels and wondered whether they might have been wrapped on the hook, then the whole assembly installed as a unit. That means that the tail wrap would have been made with the hook already on. I can see how this could be done, and think I'll try it myself to see how it works. Sure wish I could get a look at those swivels, but am unwilling to cut the plug apart to see 'em.

What you're seeing is a piece of twisted wire. I've taken some apart. It works similar to a swivel; but will only turn so far in each direction . BJ

Mine must be a slightly different arrangement. I can see the twisted wire going down into the hole, but the hooks turn with no stop, no matter how far I turn them. This must be a transitional arrangement of some kind, maybe a swivel with a plain wire on one end instead of a loop, which would allow assembling the swivel to the hook with a wire wrap.

If I ever get a better example of this plug, I'll take this one apart and verify my guess.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/21/2015 at 10:39 AM, Kent I said:

I noticed the construction of the swivels and wondered whether they might have been wrapped on the hook, then the whole assembly installed as a unit. That means that the tail wrap would have been made with the hook already on. I can see how this could be done, and think I'll try it myself to see how it works. Sure wish I could get a look at those swivels, but am unwilling to cut the plug apart to see 'em.

Have the plug in my hand now.  Your right, looks like there was some wire wrapped homemade swivel formed around the hook eye.  Hooks definitely aren’t cut.  I’ll cut the wire out and see what the ‘swivels’ really look like.  Curiosity is getting the best of me.  Debating which one gets the cut.

Edited by t_man7

Here they are!  Look like wrapped barrel swivels, thinking they might’ve got them with a straight unwrapped end from the factory and wrapped the hook on themselves.  Barrel part of the barrel swivel is drilled, similar to what campo explained in a thread in the lure building forum about barrel swivel protrusion.

326684D1-FD68-40AA-A8A0-6DB415EC409F.jpeg

7FF605B2-6E8F-4E19-A387-F2382E560139.jpeg

0627BE5A-2B57-4C8C-889D-DA0497B53D3D.jpeg

I've drilled many a swivel when making plugs...needle fish for one..narrow dia. bodies...it also can a ford a bigger #test swivel if you don't want the swivel sticking down a mile ...yes back in the day they use to sell swivels with one loop the other straight wire..when guys would make their own stuff like eel skin lead jigs...Capt'n bill used them on their wood eel skin heads instead of toilet chain.