Avon CT

Rate this topic

Kneel

according to the 2102 census data- there are 185 African Americans in town out of 18k total pop, 17 families on assistance and an average household income of just over $111k
Kneel said 'brown' people - not African Americans :wave:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Home now. Feeling kinda sad because I could really see him going there. Ya don't get them that long as it is, but if you send them away now they're gone! Once they're finished with HS its off to college. Gone. How can I convince myself not to be selfish? He did all the research, found the school, completed all of the applications. Himself. Found a school that may be perfect for him. And they LOVE him. Throw out the athletics. They'd still want him. He's a great kid. Give me some reasons to be selfish... :(

Then it won't be that big of a leap financially, plus they feed them and you no longer have to drive him all over the universe to soccer meets so that's a savings :D

Yeah but I enjoy that stuff too, Peter. It's not about to money, but definitely about the time. But fwiw, have you seen what tuition is for NJ private schools in Somerset and Morris counties? Pingry, Delbarton, Gill? Double it for boarding. :freak:

We haven't looked at Taft. We have looked into Hotchkiss and Choate, but he didn't like the size. He also says the girls are a distraction. He tells me he doesn't participate as much as he should now because he's afraid to look like a dork in front of the girls in his class. This boy has it pretty well thought out and together. And besides, the Miss Porters girls are right down the road...:laugh:

I gotta admit, I liked the kids high school age.

We always had various kids around the house, we'd play hoop in the driveway, work on cars - I used to rent a huge house in Rhody and at least a dozen of them would come for the week.

They're all grown up, but I still run in to a bunch of them from time to time.

Make the best of the summers I guess.

Home now. Feeling kinda sad because I could really see him going there. Ya don't get them that long as it is, but if you send them away now they're gone! Once they're finished with HS its off to college. Gone. How can I convince myself not to be selfish? He did all the research, found the school, completed all of the applications. Himself. Found a school that may be perfect for him. And they LOVE him. Throw out the athletics. They'd still want him. He's a great kid. Give me some reasons to be selfish... :(

personally, id be very concerned that all my wifes attention would now be on me.

Yeah but I enjoy that stuff too, Peter. It's not about to money, but definitely about the time. But fwiw, have you seen what tuition is for NJ private schools in Somerset and Morris counties? Pingry, Delbarton, Gill? Double it for boarding. :freak:

My wife and I went through the exact same thing with our only child. He went as a sophomore. The admissions officer ( in Mass, twice the distance than what you are looking at) asked us why we would send him away. Like your son, mine found the school, did all the paperwork and was accepted ( I never thought he would follow through when I said sure, you can go if you get accepted :kook: ). He graduated in 2004. It was an extraordinary experience that he would never have had staying at home, too much to deal with here, PM me if you want to talk about it. We would absolutely do it again, just relieved I only had to pay for it once :shock::D

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

My wife and I went through the exact same thing with our only child. He went as a sophomore. The admissions officer ( in Mass, twice the distance than what you are looking at) asked us why we would send him away. Like your son, mine found the school, did all the paperwork and was accepted ( I never thought he would follow through when I said sure, you can go if you get accepted :kook: ). He graduated in 2004. It was an extraordinary experience that he would never have had staying at home, too much to deal with here, PM me if you want to talk about it. We would absolutely do it again, just relieved I only had to pay for it once :shock::D

did he end up getting a package for college?

wondering if the math ended up working out in the long run.

(not that the math is the only factor)

He's got an excellent job and he's just completing his MBA on his employers tab, but I've told him that from where I sit, the math only works out when he buys me one of these

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

He's got an excellent job and he's just completing his MBA on his employers tab, but I've told him that from where I sit, the math only works out when he buys me one of these

I meant did spending the prep money, end up saving you college money...but

that's thinking with your dipstick, jimmy! :laugh:

Don't you think that the bow spit is over-doing it?

If being stupid got us into this mess, how come being stupid can't get us out?
I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all.

same here bud but in the end we just want what is best for them & for them to be happy

even if you have to give them up

sweetheart