Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
granite guy

Mann-O-Lure

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Wanted to share some info on a lure that's been producing really well for 2 seasons now - the Mann-O-Lure metal jig, hammered silver, 1 oz. Most guys on the beach I talk to have never seen one but I'm sure some of you guys have. It is only 2 3/4" long, casts like a bullet and isn't as flat as a crippled herring so it gets down real well and is pretty good to fish in rougher surf. Weaks seem to love 'em. They can be seen on-line at the Manns Bait Co. web site.

Fred

I saw this when you first posted but didn't respond. I would think 1 ounce would be kind of light in a rough surf. Have you used them in bays or inlets? Sounds like it might be similar to sting silvers which are getting some use here in Maryland. I am going to check them out on the website.

Actually work pretty well in fairly rough surf, probably because of weight to profile ratio. I'm using Power-Pro with a leader so I get pretty good distance on my casts and by letting them sink first and being very careful to reel along with the wave action, they'll stay down fairly well. Have used them in Manasquan Inlet and if you fish the moving water like you would in a river, 1/4 cast upstream. let it sink, they work fine. Never tried them in the bays. I'm going to paint some pink. Had one painted pink last year and hammered the weaks on it.

Fred

Just looked at the site. Looks like they have a 2 oz size also. Didn't show hooks in their illustration. Is that just to show the lure better or do you need to attach your own hooks?

The 1 oz. come from Manns with hooks attached and I assume any other sizes would, although I'd hate to depend on them to take a cow. I've used them at night for weaks with fair success but the best results have been just around sunrise and sunset. They make a great teaser delivery lure, pretty cheap and if you get sawed off by toothy critters, you won't go broke.