Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Master Debaiter

Clearwater/Ft.Myers in August

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

prepare yourself for the heat...keep drinking fluids even if you're fishing at night. I've seen people come down that time of year that can't hack it....hit those beaches at night with a inshore combo and a topwater spook jr. or doa cal paddle tail on a 1/4 oz jig head. 24" of 40 lb fluorocarbon leader and a loop knot..mono leader for topwaters.. cast parallel to the beach , most hang out in trough. the beaches around sand key park hold good fish during the summer, for artificials it's a night time game or low light game...you can pack it in as soon as the beach go'ers and jet ski's start hitting water.

The beauty about the annual Florida non-resident license is, it is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.  So, if you plan to return within a year it's worth the extra $17.

The 17 dollar one is only good for two weeks I believe? I get the one for a year.

I will be going to Ft. Myers next week, what type of fishing can I expect? And does anyone have any suggestions for an offshore charter?

Thanks

florida sportsman southwest region reports : read till your eye's are crossed.

most all private charters book months in advanced this time of year.

you might get lucky and find a captain with a empty seat once you get down there..call anderson's bait and tackle (239) 334-3474), and ask nicely for some names and phone #'s of guides.

..the sooner the better.

if you are looking for a party boat , sea trek , or capt tony's..

Thanks BridgeTender, I think I might take a trip with Capt. Tony's seems like they catch a bunch of fish so should be fun 

I am moving to the area soon and am getting very excited about all the fishing prospects.

Yeah, summer is snook in the surf season...first light...don't 'over throw' them (i.e don't cast beyond where they're at, because they're literally right in the wash on many occasions). You'll also find them around shadow lines at night, in the passes and backwaters...great fishery.

Walkin Sanibel/Captiva beaches at nite is lotsa fun. Can see tons of snook

during the day, buy I have found it hard to get bit without live bait.

Locals would no better then me. Blind Pass and the beaches around

the lighthouse and pier are 2 favorites. Leave the 10' stuff at home.

If you have some heavy tackle, lighthouse pier with live bait on a

charging tide can b nuts.