Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Master Debaiter

Clearwater/Ft.Myers in August

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Gonna stay in Clearwater area but I'm gonna fish between there and Ft.Myers from surf, bridges and any structure I find. What fish can I expect to find around August. Wanna know what I'm up against

BIG FAT SLOB SNOOK...around the bridges, passes...but you can't keep them until September....the big ones over 33 inch you cannot keep at all. You will never forget a big Snook hook-up fight around a bridge...never ever forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Debaiter View Post

Strictly catch n release.... What setups should I bring

Well, that depends on what you are after or targeting. Surf outfits for surf. Bridge/structure gear on the stout side. Your rigs will depend on what bait you are using, cut/live or lures. Aug - Oct are prime months down here.

I'd suggest the (south) Skyway bridge fishing pier, longest pier in the world, and right in the middle of your fishing venture. You drive your car onto it and park and gone fishing. My wife and I were just there last weekend and got into some serious rod bending action, almost to the end. Take a Sabiki rig tipped with some squid and get live bait. Don't waste your time fishing with dead bait or shrimp because the pinfish will eat the bait before it even hits the bottom. Incoming tide is good, drop your live baits between the broken spans of the closed bridge facing the new bridge. I used 80lb test leaders with big circle hooks, about 1.5oz weight. Be sure to tie your rods and set loose drags because there are monsters lurking around that bridge and they have been known to rip rods into the water else snap them in half. If you have a hoop net, all the better for peace of mind to pull the big stuff up.

Thank you for the great info zcoker... It's funny you mention that tip with the sabiki. Was at the pier in Clearwater one year using my sabiki and was getting tons of hits but no fish... Then a local guy says put squid on it and sure enough BOOM fish on :)

Yeah, just tip the small hooks on the sabiki rig with tiny chunks of squid and you will pull up bait in seconds. When you drop the rig, let it hit bottom and then snap it when you feel them pecking. Transfer the nice fresh bait to your big setup and then you are ready to go. Sit back and relax. If you've never fished that south pier at the Skyway, you will love it, very comfortable and lots of fish to play around with. I had a great time there.

Quote:

Tarpon,snook,redfish and jacks would be nice. Possibly sharks also. I have 8' and 11' Century rods and 10' GSB .

Wading and surf you're good with the 8' for snook and reds.  When you're near Ft. Meyers don't overlook Sanibel Island.  Drop by Norm Zeigler's Fly Shop and he will shorten your learning curve out there.  The nice thing about Sanibel is, no matter the wind there is always a good place to try.  Good luck.

Quote:

How much is the fishing license and where can I get one?

You can get the non-resident fishing license from Walmart, Sports Authority, maybe Dick's Sporting Goods or you can do it over the phone with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission:

http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/saltwater-fishing

Directly from their website, a 7 day non-resident license is $30

You can get the non-resident fishing license from Walmart, Sports Authority, maybe Dick's Sporting Goods or you can do it over the phone with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission:

http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/saltwater-fishing

Directly from their website, a 7 day non-resident license is $30

Greatly appreciate all the help you've given me ... Thank you very much

The beauty about the annual Florida non-resident license is, it is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase.  So, if you plan to return within a year it's worth the extra $17.