Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skolmann

Rod Selection

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for an 8' spinning to be used to fish the Raritan Bayshore as well the ocean side of Sandy Hook. This rod will be strictly used for throwing plugs. I'm looking at rods that are rated anywhere from 6-20# line and 1/2-2 ounces. I'm willing to spend up to $200.

Some of the models I have in mind are as follows;

Lamiglas-XS81MS, XSRA961

St. Croix-PSRS80M, ASRS80M

Loomis-SUR965S

Rogue-SU803S, SU804S

Any thoughts, opinions etc. would be appreciated.

I would go for the Loomis,I've had one for over 2 years and haven't regretted buying it once.It can handle plugs as light as a 5" Redfin or Mambo up to at least a 2.5 oz. swimmer.

As Danno stated,The TICA's are good value for the money,pretty much a Loomis clone with similar action but cheaper components.

I have the 8' one piece tica (heavier one). I have no complaints really. so far it has stood up to everything I have thrown at it (lots of time with braid, lots of blues, and a decent amount of bass up to 20# or so). for $52 you can buy the heavier 8'er and the lighter one as well. good bang for the buck!

cant comment on the other rods since I do not have any. I have used all rods by those manufactures except rogue.

right now I am looking into the arra xsra 1083. the up north guys seem to snap these though, as they usually have to chuck it out farther then we have to up here in norther nj. we have it lucky as half the time the fish are at our feet. wink.gif I am also looking at the rainshadow 1088 0r 1087